Truck From Out Of Province Hit On Highway

A place to discuss any general Highway Traffic Act related items.

Moderators: Reflections, admin, Radar Identified, hwybear, bend, Decatur

greengreen25

Truck From Out Of Province Hit On Highway

Unread post by greengreen25 »

I was wondering if anyone can give me some advice or comment regarding legal action in my scenario. I have never been in an accident before.

Few nights ago, I was driving on 403. I was hit on my left side by a freightliner truck. They didnt signal or look and changed lanes. It was

A big truck. I took some damage and my poor car took alot more damage and it doesnt look good. The truck is a commercial one from Manitoba. My friends are advicing to sue for economical loss and personal loss and damage. Given the driver is from Manitoba, how likely is it to succeed if I go ahead with this? Any advice? :(

ynotp

Posting Awards

Unread post by ynotp »

No-fault insurance means your insurance company will compensate you for your car, and other losses such as medical treatment, lost wages etc. for amounts covered in your policy. Now if you have catastrophic injuries the effect of the accident on your future and family can in some people's minds justify suing the other party. People who are truly injured aren't so much interested in a set dollar amount so much as getting their life back; after all getting in to an accident is not supposed to be like winning the lottery. If you aren't significantly injured and you expect to make a full recovery odds are litigation is not a good fit. That is not to say that some ambulance chasing lawyer isn't going to try to convince you otherwise. Insurance companies can see this a mile away and will give you the runaround for years until they finally offer you a minor settlement. In the end the lawyer gets paid and you get a fraction of what you thought you might get.... IMO it is simply not worth it unless you expect a lifelong sustained loss.