A place to discuss any general Highway Traffic Act related items.

Moderators: Radar Identified, Reflections, admin, hwybear, Decatur, bend

iFly55

Posting Awards

by: iFly55 on

http://assets.ibc.ca/Documents/Brochure ... FAQ-ON.pdf

Insurance companies have three categories: minor, major and serious. Dirty plate would be under the minor category and can still increase your rates. Speeding +49km/hr and driving with dirty plate could still be under the "minor category". They don't set different premiums for moving and non-moving convictions; if you're charged under the HTA, it's all the same.

Companies like State Farm will cancel your policy if you collect 3 minor convictions within the same window. Major and Serious convictions will generally result in your policy getting cancelled or +100% surcharges so that you will cancel.

If your charge is related to a sign, there's a small chance they could amend it to the by-law for the sign. It never hurts to ask, but you will not get an amendment to a completely unrelated charge.

jsherk
High Authority
High Authority

by: jsherk on

In the USA a lot of the prosecutors will offer to exchange your driving charge to a parking violation charge (with same fine amount) in exchange for a guilty plea.

However I have never heard of that happening in Canada. Either they are not allowed to do it, or just won't.

+++ This is not legal advice, only my opinion +++
hecubus

by: hecubus on

Jonny042 wrote:

Anyone know the complete ins and outs for Allstate? It seems as though I won't take a hit for a single minor offense, but not sure about a second one.

I don't have any details re: how Allstate treats convictions, but I discovered that my insurance company provides a "conviction free discount" of 15%. In other words, a single conviction will result in losing the 15% discount. Of course, additional convictions will result in further premium increases, but I found the "conviction free discount" an interesting twist.

Post a Reply