A place to discuss any general Highway Traffic Act related items.

Moderators: Radar Identified, Reflections, admin, hwybear, Decatur, bend

DrSteven

Posting Awards

Speeding Ticket Reduced - Best Strategy ?

by: DrSteven on

I got a speeding ticket , officer showed me his radar gun clocked at 118km in 80 zone, I didn't say anything gave him my paperwork and he went back to the cruiser, came back with a 20 over ticket.

My understanding is that if this goes to trial, they will amend the speed back up to the original radar reading in his notes.

So what is the best strategy, request trial, request disclosure, and go to court and hope that prosecutor offers a reduced charge (reduced from 20 over not 38 over), because if it does go to trial and they amend it up and it's me vs officer, I have no chance right ?

jsherk
High Authority
High Authority

by: jsherk on

Yes, if you go to trial, then they can amend the ticket back up to 38 over instead of 20 over. However the trial actually has to start before they can amend it up.

So you should plead NOT GUILTY and ask for Trial with Officer present. Once you get notice of trial then ask for disclosure (officers notes, speed measuring device manual, audio/video).

Once you get disclosure you can then decide if there is a way to beat the ticket or not and then decide to just pay the 20 over or try to beat the 38 over.

But you should always take advantage of reviewing the disclosure before you decide what to do.

+++ This is not legal advice, only my opinion +++
Post a Reply