fantasyliving12

First Speed Ticket Reduced To 15km

by: fantasyliving12 on

Hi all,

I have been driving for over 10 years without any tickets and accidents what so ever. Unfortunately my luck ran out this past Friday; when the officer pulled me over doing 80 in a 50 zone in Mississauga, Ontario. Officer was very friendly and polite not to mention nice enough to reduce the charge to 15KM.

On the speeding ticket it now says doing 65km in a 50 zone. Never having a speeding ticket not sure how this will effect my insurance. I am thinking about hiring a lawyer to fight this ticket. What are my chances of winning? The officer did mention that if i do take it to court, the evidence will show doing 80.

How should I handle this? I thank you for any input you guys share.

jsherk
High Authority
High Authority

by: jsherk on

As far as insurance goes, 15 over or 30 over will most likely affect it the same, meaning it could go up.

If you take it to trial, the prosecutor will ask for the charge to be amended back up to 30 over, so if you lose it will be 30 over.

So first post a copy of the ticket here (blank out any personal info) and we can check it for fatal errors.

Assuming no fatal errors, then what I always recommend is to plead NOT GUILTY and request a Trial with the Officer present. Once you get your notice of trial, you can then request disclosure (officers notes, radar manual, video, etc.)

Once you get this disclosure, post a copy of the officers notes here and we can then comment further as to next steps.

Best case is we see something in the notes that will give you a good chance of winning and maybe you can fight it yourself or hire a paralegal to represent you.

Worst case is that officer has an air tight case and chances are slim to none in which case you can just advise prosecutor you are going to plead guilty to 15 over and not show up for the trial. They can only amend it up to 30 over if you (or your representative) actually show up. If nobody shows up they have to leave it at 15 over.

+++ This is not legal advice, only my opinion +++
bobajob

Posting Awards

by: bobajob on

it does depend on insurance companies,

but GENERALLY anything upto 50km will be a minor infraction,

so any penality will be the same if it 10 over 15 over or 30 over

You can ring your insurance company and ask, or get somone to ring and ask an anonymous question

If its TD (meloche Monnex) this information is correct

the issue IS that a conviction is a conviction

80 in a 50... thats a bit quick ;)

HTH

fantasyliving12 wrote:Hi all,

I have been driving for over 10 years without any tickets and accidents what so ever. Unfortunately my luck ran out this past Friday; when the officer pulled me over doing 80 in a 50 zone in Mississauga, Ontario. Officer was very friendly and polite not to mention nice enough to reduce the charge to 15KM.

On the speeding ticket it now says doing 65km in a 50 zone. Never having a speeding ticket not sure how this will effect my insurance. I am thinking about hiring a lawyer to fight this ticket. What are my chances of winning? The officer did mention that if i do take it to court, the evidence will show doing 80.

How should I handle this? I thank you for any input you guys share.

--------------------------------------------------------------
* NO you cant touch your phone
* Speeding is speeding
* Challenge every ticket
* Impaired driving, you should be locked up UNDER the jail
bobajob

Posting Awards

by: bobajob on

DOH ! I didnt read your reply

ACES !

jsherk wrote:As far as insurance goes, 15 over or 30 over will most likely affect it the same, meaning it could go up.

--------------------------------------------------------------
* NO you cant touch your phone
* Speeding is speeding
* Challenge every ticket
* Impaired driving, you should be locked up UNDER the jail
daggx

Posting Awards

by: daggx on

It is also worth noting that many insurance companies, especially if you are a long time customer, will forgive one minor ticket every 3-5 years. So you may be facing no increase at all. As jsherk said you will have to look at the specifics of your plan to be sure.

Post a Reply