A place to discuss any general Highway Traffic Act related items.

Moderators: Radar Identified, Reflections, admin, hwybear, Decatur, bend

Fitch

Seatbelts In Suv

by: Fitch on

Hello all,

Later today I may have to drive my vehicle with 4 passengers in it.

It is a 2005 Suzuki XL-7, with only three seats. I have removed a portion of the bench seating in the back seat, the 60 section of the 60/40 split, so I only have three seats in the vehicle with belts. The fourth passenger would either sit on the floor where the seat was removed from, or (more likely) on the cargo bench, with their feet hanging into the area where the seat was.

What charges may I (or my passenger face) if I do decide to take this risk?

Thanks in advance,

Fitch

argyll
VIP
VIP

Posting Awards

by: argyll on

I doubt anyone is going to come on here and provide you with information that is going to let you conduct a risk assessment on an illegal activity. The police officers on here have seen all too frequently the effects of not wearing seat belts.

Please don't do it - there must be other options.

Former Ontario Police Officer. Advice will become less relevant as the time goes by !
Fitch

by: Fitch on

Very good, I appreciate the information. Having grown up in an era when this would not have been an illegal activity, my inquiry was more along the lines of is this an illegal activity (?), and if so what are the charges.

bend

Posting Awards

by: bend on

You can't have more passengers than there are seat belts. Older vehicles made before a time where seat belts were mandatory (1974 I believe) have been grandfathered in. Even then, you can't transport infants or small children. You, the driver, are responsible for anyone under the age of 16 in any vehicle with belts.

Insurance will also not cover the full costs towards anyone injured in a vehicle while not wearing a seat belt.

Post a Reply

Return to “General Talk”