A place to discuss any general Highway Traffic Act related items.

Moderators: Radar Identified, Reflections, admin, hwybear, Decatur, bend

mwarrior

Electronically Printed Certificate Of Offence

by: mwarrior on

So I see lots of municipalities are now PRINTING the 3 part tickets (Certificate of Offence, Notice of Offence, Payment Notice) electronically.

My understanding is that the latter two (Notice of Offence and Payment Notice) gets given to the defendant, while the Certificate gets signed and filed in court, showing of course that it's a true copy of the Notice of Offence.

Now my question is, does anybody know whether the Certificates all get filed electronically or does the officer have to physically file that Certificate? And if the officer accidentally gives the Certificate to the defendant as well as the other two documents, can he simply print another one off and file it?

It would seem rather redundant, given than if it was a paper ticket, giving the Certificate to the defendant would leave the officer with no Certificate to sign and file, but I haven't been able to find an answer on this one.

Thanks

mwarrior

by: mwarrior on

OPS: I noticed the back of the Certificate has info for what to do and everything, the court docket or what have you. So my question, if with the paper tickets the point of the Certificate portion of the 3 or 4 part ticket was to ensure it's the same thing given, and that paper if accidentally given to the defendant essentially means no Certificate to file, wouldn't that be the same case now?

Printer prints off Notice, Payment Form, and Certificate. First two to defendant, and third for officer to submit in court?

As you mentioned about printed tickets being for the person charged, I don't see anything about a charged person getting the Certificate as it's supposed to be for courts, or is it just redundant paperwork and an extra form that's been unnecessarily printed?

Stanton
High Authority
High Authority

Posting Awards

by: Stanton on

As OPS stated, nothing is actually filed by the officer anymore. The e-ticket is submitted electronically to the courts. The only thing the officer needs to print is a copy of the ticket to serve the defendent.

While I can't speak to whether the officer printed out something extra or redundant with your ticket, it won't unfortunately prevent it from being forwarded to the Courts like it would with a regular old fashion paper ticket.

Post a Reply