Ontario Highway Traffic Act - Failing to signal
DoTheRightThing

Fail To Signal (i Did Signal) - Cop Was In Front Of Me...

by: DoTheRightThing on

Really strange situation yesterday.

Coasting in the right lane going 50 - Cop passes me in the left lane.

Later on (still in the right lane around 50) the car in front of me slows down to turn right on a side street.

I signal then switch to the left lane, than immediately switch back to the right after passing the slowed turning vehicle (didn't signal on the way as it was so instant).

Cop who is 3-4 car lengths ahead of us slows, rides in my blindspot in the left lane for about 4-5 blocks then sirens, pulls me over and gives me a ticket for failing to signal on the way back?????

I asked him how in any way what i did was unsafe and how I even signaled when moving to the left lane. he said he had his evidence I said "whats your evidence" he replied "I dont need to argue with you" - gave me a $85 ticket.

I'm definitely going to fight it as IMO it's ridiculous

Also found this

(The driver or operator of a vehicle upon a highway before turning to the left or right at any intersection or into a private road or driveway or from one lane for traffic to another lane for traffic or to leave the roadway shall first see that the movement can be made in safety, and if the operation of any other vehicle may be affected by the movement shall give a signal plainly visible to the driver or operator of the other vehicle of the intention to make the movement. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 142 (1). )

" if the operation of any other vehicle may be affected by the movement shall give a signal plainly visible to the driver or operator of the other vehicle of the intention to make the movement" - Clearly no vehicle was affected - Also is there any argument to be made it was a dark night and the cop was 3 -4 car lengths ahead?

Any help would be hugely appreciated.

Post a Reply