southpaw

Dealing With The After Math Of A Suspension

by: southpaw on

Hey guys, I'm new to this forum so forgive me if I'm not doing this right!

I'm a G2 driver, and me being foolish I did 118km/h in an 80km/h zone, and rightfully so I was caught by an officer and given the full ticket. I chose not to fight it because I felt it was a much needed wake up call on my driving. So that resulted in my license being suspended for 30 days, which wasn't as nearly as bad as I thought. Biking isn't so bad after all! On Wednesday (4 days from now), I will get my license back and probably continue biking for the rest of the summer, however that is not an issue. My issue is insurance: I've heard to many stories and "facts" to be able to see what will happen next. I've been told my insurance won't go up, my insurance is going to go up to $8 000 a year and everywhere in between. So my questions are:

how much on average does insurance go up in a case like mine?

How long until it goes off my record and my insurance goes back to normal?

Is it possible I won't get charged at all? I've heard that my insurance will only charge me more money if they see the offence on my record.

Is there any way to prove I've learned from my mistake and get it taken off my record early?

If you have any other insight you can share, or stories, it would be very helpful.

Thanks

When you've got something to prove, there's nothing greater than a challenge
Radar Identified

by: Radar Identified on

$8000/year is a bit excessive. In fact, that's in the territory of Facility Insurance, which basically is for high-risk drivers who have a pathological need to repeatedly crash their vehicles and get all kinds of tickets from police officers. (Okay not a pathological need but if you look at some of the people who are under Facility Insurance you might draw that conclusion... anyway...) I highly doubt that $8000/year is coming your way for the one offence.

Not all insurance companies are the same, but a lot of them will give you a surcharge of $200 to $300/year for your offence. If the insurance company tries to cancel your insurance or jack your rates into the stratosphere, find someone else. From an insurance perspective, 38 km/h over isn't too egregious, even if you are a G2 driver. You are looking at about 3 years until the offence is dropped from your insurance.

You can't get it taken off your record early, but you can do things like take additional drivers' training or other safety courses to help reduce your insurance. Some offer other ways of doing it, such as having black box-like devices attached to your vehicle that relay driving distances, times, and acceleration/braking parameters. I still don't know what to think of those things but apparently you can't get any insurance increase, and can only get decreases, if you sign up for them. I think they are worth a closer look but I have some concerns about the privacy aspects...

Hope this helps...

* The above is NOT legal advice. By acting on anything I have said, you assume responsibility for any outcome and consequences. *
http://www.OntarioTicket.com OR http://www.OHTA.ca
southpaw

Radar Identified wrote:$8000/year is a bit excessive. In fact, that's in the territory of Facility Insurance, which basically is for high-risk drivers who have a pathological need to repeatedly crash their vehicles and get all kinds of tickets from police officers. (Okay not a pathological need but if you look at some of the people who are under Facility Insurance you might draw that conclusion... anyway...) I highly doubt that $8000/year is coming your way for the one offence.

Not all insurance companies are the same, but a lot of them will give you a surcharge of $200 to $300/year for your offence. If the insurance company tries to cancel your insurance or jack your rates into the stratosphere, find someone else. From an insurance perspective, 38 km/h over isn't too egregious, even if you are a G2 driver. You are looking at about 3 years until the offence is dropped from your insurance.

You can't get it taken off your record early, but you can do things like take additional drivers' training or other safety courses to help reduce your insurance. Some offer other ways of doing it, such as having black box-like devices attached to your vehicle that relay driving distances, times, and acceleration/braking parameters. I still don't know what to think of those things but apparently you can't get any insurance increase, and can only get decreases, if you sign up for them. I think they are worth a closer look but I have some concerns about the privacy aspects...

Hope this helps...

Okay! Thanks you :) $200-300 extra is something I can handle for sure. I already have Drivers Ed so I think that helps with insurance.

Thank you very much for your response sir.

iFly55

Posting Awards

by: iFly55 on

http://www.ibc.ca/en/car_insurance/docu ... quote]What influences my premium?

• Each drivers conviction record for the last three years.
  • Whether any driver in the household has had a licence suspension within the last six years or an automobile insurance policy cancelled in the last three years.
[/quote]Your insurance company will most likely double-dip, and add two different surcharges: one for the conviction, and another for the suspension.

Make sure you don't driver while suspended, and properly re-instate your driver's license: https://www.ontario.ca/driving-and-road ... rs-licence

The fee is $150.

southpaw

iFly55 wrote:http://www.ibc.ca/en/car_insurance/docu ... quote]What influences my premium?

• Each drivers conviction record for the last three years.
  • Whether any driver in the household has had a licence suspension within the last six years or an automobile insurance policy cancelled in the last three years.
Your insurance company will most likely double-dip, and add two different surcharges: one for the conviction, and another for the suspension.

Make sure you don't driver while suspended, and properly re-instate your driver's license: https://www.ontario.ca/driving-and-road ... rs-licence

The fee is $150.[/quote]

Haven't drive anything since a few days before my suspension and don't plan on ruining it now! I'm aware of the fee :) it seems silly because I already payed the ticket but such is life.

Post a Reply