Auxiliary Lighting Q

A place to discuss any general Highway Traffic Act related items.

Moderators: Radar Identified, hwybear, Reflections, admin, Decatur, bend

tremor

Auxiliary Lighting Q

Unread post by tremor »

Don't know where I'm supposed to ask this (move if required)- but I have a question about auxiliary lighting.

To preface, I have covers over my headlights. Yes, they are illegal and meant for offroad use, but after a year of driving with them on, and asking police officers on their opinion (used to work as a bylaw officer, and am still currently a provincial Offenses Officer) they've said as long as oncoming traffic can see my headlights, then there's no problem.

The problem came up however, was the usable light. I could hardly see 20 feet in front of my truck in the dead of night, which made for some near misses this past winter.

So I installed some auxiliary lighting, and for the time being (short term) wired it to turn on with my headlights, for the intention of using on road.

The members of my truck forum are in a big lather because the light is very bright and are concerned about oncoming traffic. While I'm concerned about it, I really don't see the problem with what I've done. For visual representation, here's a picture:

Thoughts? Sorry for the rambling question, I just wanted to make sure all available info was given. I really hope to contribute my knowledge of parking violations to the website. :)