Highway Question

A place to discuss any general Highway Traffic Act related items.

Moderators: Reflections, admin, Radar Identified, hwybear, bend, Decatur

Frodamob

Highway Question

Unread post by Frodamob »

Hypothetically speaking here. If someone is driving on the highway and the highway traffic is complete gridlock "Welcome to the GTA", and this guy who is driving in the left most lane, then proceeds to change lanes to the on-ramp, then speed past a big long line of traffic, only to merge back in to the left lane again, and so on with ever on-ramp. He is switching lanes on the dotted white and is doing so somewhat safely with the indicator and what not, but as I watched this guy, then another do the same thing I was wondering if this is a traffic offense and they could be charge with something, but what is the charge?

I mean this is Ontario after all, we have charges for everything.

Does any body know?

Frodamob

Unread post by Frodamob »

Thanks for the feedback, and sorry I had a typo in my original post, should have read the farthest right hand lane, but I think you understood.

I am surprised that this is legal, it sort of ticks me off because I am trying to do right by waiting in the long line of traffic and these jokers think that there time is more valuable than mine and try to "jump the line"

What I have also noticed (kind of the reverse), is when traffic is all buggered up and someone in the right lane is trying to switch to the off ramp lane for the exit and they cross the solid white lane, instead of waiting the extra 5 meters for the dotted white line, they get caught and ticketed. Any idea what that charge is?

iFly55

Posting Awards

Unread post by iFly55 »

I think the OP is talking about this sort of scenario. Going Southbound on HWY 427 from HWY 7, there's a shoulder/bullnose that separates S/B 427 & W/B 407. Drivers from L3 of S/B 427 can enter E/B 407 Ramp by driving over this bullnose.

Every morning with heavy traffic, we see drivers using this bullnose to enter E/B 407 Ramp but also to "jump" the S/B 427 L2 queue.

I've witnessed an OPP officer who was in L2 going S/B 427 get cut off by a driver using the bullnose to jump ahead of him in L2... he was immediately pulled over, even before he completed the lane change. Some mornings I see OPP just park their vehicles on the bull nose.

R. v. Capobianco, 2010 ONCA 589 (CanLII): http://canlii.ca/t/2cj6m

http://www.wheels.ca/fighting-this-driv ... /[quote][1] The respondent was tried and convicted of the driving offence "failing to drive in a marked lane" contrary to s. 154(1)(a) of the Highway Traffic Act, R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8 (HTA), for driving through an area of highway colloquially known as a "bull-nose". A bull-nose is a term used by the Ministry of Transportation that refers to two solid white lines that start at a point and travel back towards the on-ramp of a highway. In the present case, the on-ramp led from the west-bound Rutherford Road onto the north-bound Highway 400. The bull-nose is, in effect, the meeting of the right-hand shoulder of the highway and the left-hand shoulder of the on-ramp onto that highway.

[4] On appeal, the summary conviction appeal judge allowed the appeal and entered an acquittal on the basis that there was no evidence that the respondents manoeuvre was not made in safety.[/quote]Basically doing this is also legal, as long as you properly use your indicators and execute it "safely".