Strange Occurance And My Ignorance

Ooops

Strange Occurance And My Ignorance

Unread post by Ooops »

Hi, need some advice to feel better, or worse.

Today I was driving home from work in an 80km/h zone. In the other lane I saw a school bus (no median, bus was coming AT me). I was about 10 car lengths away and while still moving the school bus engaged the flashing lights. He was still moving of this I am sure. I did not know if I had to stop or not so I started slowing down slower than I should have been to come to a full stop. When I saw the school bus driver (still moving) waving his arms and honking his horn I slammed on the brakes and stopped a few feet from the bus. The driver was very angry with me and waving me to back up so I did. I apologized to him a few times (lip reading) and he seemed to understand it was an apology and shook his head and repeatedly said "No (Lip reading)(angrily)." SO, Onto the questions.

1. I understand the bus has to be at a full stop in order for this to become an infraction, so I may be worried about nothing.

2. I did stop, just not where the driver wanted me to, and backed up to an appropriate location.

3. The "Stop" sign was not out, as it can't be while the bus is moving unless the driver open's the door.

4. The distance was iffy, I could have stopped but it would have needed some dangerous braking as it ended up being in the end.

I have a good feeling he is going to report the incident, I'm just wondering if an infraction even though no pass was made is possible.

I feel awful about the whole incident. I should have used my better judgement and hit the brakes much harder than I initially did to prevent having to smash on them. However, if I do get and deserve a 490 dollar fine than so be it. I'm just glad nobody was hurt.

Thanks in advance for any input. I'm a safe driver and I don't speed, I just didn't know what to do at the time because I did not see the stop sign. Now that I've read the laws again I feel like an idiot.

hawaii

Unread post by hawaii »

Ooops wrote:Hi, need some advice to feel better, or worse.

Today I was driving home from work in an 80km/h zone. In the other lane I saw a school bus (no median, bus was coming AT me). I was about 10 car lengths away and while still moving the school bus engaged the flashing lights. He was still moving of this I am sure. I did not know if I had to stop or not so I started slowing down slower than I should have been to come to a full stop. When I saw the school bus driver (still moving) waving his arms and honking his horn I slammed on the brakes and stopped a few feet from the bus. The driver was very angry with me and waving me to back up so I did. I apologized to him a few times (lip reading) and he seemed to understand it was an apology and shook his head and repeatedly said "No (Lip reading)(angrily)." SO, Onto the questions.

1. I understand the bus has to be at a full stop in order for this to become an infraction, so I may be worried about nothing.

2. I did stop, just not where the driver wanted me to, and backed up to an appropriate location.

3. The "Stop" sign was not out, as it can't be while the bus is moving unless the driver open's the door.

4. The distance was iffy, I could have stopped but it would have needed some dangerous braking as it ended up being in the end.

I have a good feeling he is going to report the incident, I'm just wondering if an infraction even though no pass was made is possible.

I feel awful about the whole incident. I should have used my better judgement and hit the brakes much harder than I initially did to prevent having to smash on them. However, if I do get and deserve a 490 dollar fine than so be it. I'm just glad nobody was hurt.

Thanks in advance for any input. I'm a safe driver and I don't speed, I just didn't know what to do at the time because I did not see the stop sign. Now that I've read the laws again I feel like an idiot.

I say all is good. Lesson learned. :) :)

Return to “Failing to stop for a school bus”