blitzkreig

Careless Driving Summons

by: blitzkreig on

Hi,

I got careless driving summons this morning. I was wondering what the best way to approach this. Here was my situation below:

I was coming back home Highway 7 from a religious celebration at around 12:30 AM. There was a snow storm forecast and it was snowing moderately resulting in reduced visibility. i was driving at around 50-55km in 80km zone (about 20-30 km BELOW the speed limit). When driving, I saw a SUV with blue lights flashing (it was hard to tell since it wasn't very bright and my windshield was slightly foggy), and red blinking stoppers. Initially I thought it was a stuck snow cleaner waiting on the side of the road. Then I noticed the car on the opposite shoulder with it's headlights on, which I also assumed to be a snow cleaner since it too had flashing blue light. Initially I was going around 60, and when I noticed that there were two snow cleaners, I reduced my speed slightly as to pass them. There were no cars in my lane or the opposite lane. When my car got closer, I realized that it was actually police cruiser that were on both shoulders of the road. Immediately I slammed on the brakes, but the car started sliding. It slid for a few seconds before coming to stop before the police cruiser that was on the shoulder. It was my first time seeing a police car with only blue flashing lights (i'm used to seeing ones bright blue and red flashers). The police were checking for alcohol as part of there regular stop. The police stopped me, asked for my license and issued a summon for careless driving. I have never gotten any ticket or been stopped since I received my license. I have been driving since 2009 and obtained my full license in 2011.

Personally I found it really hard to tell if it was a police cars. My mother and sister in the car also couldn't tell that the car stopped on the shoulders was a police cruiser. I slammed on the brakes when I saw them flashing their hand lights towards me and came to a stop before or inline with the first police cruiser which was on the shoulder. As you saw, I wasn't even driving that fast considering it was a highway (I believe it was around 55-60ish in 80 zone) due to snowy roads. The police officer did remark that everyone else managed to slow down before coming close to the cruisers, and why I did not. Any advice would be appreciated, since this is my first time ever being in such a situation.

TheForce

by: TheForce on

Wow, sounds completely bogus. I had a similar experience at a RIDE program. The officer had his hand up and was wearing a black glove -- I though he was waving me through, which sometimes happens. I had to slam on my brakes, but I was never charged with careless. Whatever you do, don't mention the foggy windshield. It's probably a good idea to contact a lawyer.

blitzkreig

by: blitzkreig on

Thanks for the heads up. Just out of curiosity why is it bad to mention slightly foggy windshield? Also is what I have explained a valid reason? I mean I have been driving for few years but never had such a check in middle of a highway or road (never been stopped) so didn't know how to drive aside from slowing down. And could only understand that they wanted me to stop when I got closer and realized it was actually the police.

TheForce

by: TheForce on

I wouldn't be mentioning the foggy windshield. The obvious follow up question would be:why didn't you pull over if you couldn't see? Or why did you start driving with the windshield in an unsafe condition. Hopefully a moderator will chime in, they have a great deal more expertise. Make sure you tick off option three and request disclosure.

Post a Reply