A place to discuss any general Highway Traffic Act related items.

Moderators: Radar Identified, Reflections, admin, hwybear, Decatur, bend

Duration Of Record?

by: 287 on

I have read quite a bit about how long an offence stays on a driver's record and wanted to make sure I was following correctly, as there are some mixed messages. Also, I have a few questions for clarification.

Lets say there was an occurance Sept. 15th, 2012 and a charge of careless driving resulted October 9, 2012. It was taken to Early Resolution and a plea for a lesser charge was entered Jan. 10, 2013. The lesser charge was a 4 point offence and resulted in a 30 day suspension for a G2 driver.

For insurance purposes, can the suspension be seen for 5 years? Is that 5 years from offence, charge or conviction?

For insurance purposes, can the charge be seen before conviction at all? If not: can the conviction be seen for 3 years from offence, charge or conviction? If so, does the clock start again once there is a conviction?

Points for MTO stay on record for 2 years. Is that from offence, charge or conviction? If a person pleads to a lesser offence, does the date this happens become the charge date?

A G2 driver who serves a 30 day suspension does not have the points added to their license. Correct? When does the suspension begin? As soon as the guilty plea, or once MTO notifies them, assuming it could take a few weeks to all catch up.

Thank you for helping out, this is all really overwhelming and it helps a lot to get clear answers to make informed decisions.

Post a Reply