A place to discuss any general Highway Traffic Act related items.

Moderators: Radar Identified, Reflections, admin, hwybear, Decatur, bend

coryl

Licence Plate Location

by: coryl on

I was looking over the laws for front placement of plates and the rules appear somewhat confusing.

Mitsubishi Evo's and Ralliarts are given left (driver's side) front plates from the dealership to prevent inhibition of air flow with these turboed rally cars. Two of us in our group have been pulled over and given warnings that they are breaking the law but in the end they were not issued a ticket. These two were told that the plate needed to be placed on the front of the bumper. After looking over the laws, all I can seem to find is that the plate needs to be visible to red light cameras, tolls, and photo radar and there is no information that says it needs to be on the front bumper and only that there needs to be a visible plate on the front and the back of the car. How would a person know whether this means that the these cameras are taking pictures of the front, sides, or back of the car?

To me this seems to be up to the officer to make a call on maybe what he/she thinks placement should be on maybe what's been the norm in the past of placing plates in the absolute front?

One of the guys in our group wants to place the side front plate on the passenger side to cover up some damage and this is what got us all curious. I'm just wondering if this may draw even more attention to the police who have the idea that the plates have to be on the front bumper, which appears unsupported by the actual written law.

My questions are theses.

1)- photos from red light cameras, tolls, photo radar(not here in Ontario but could be an issue of driving in another province), do they take pics from the front, back or side or from all angles?

2)-where is it written exactly in the law on that front plates should be in the absolute front of the vehicle?

Thanks.

Stanton
High Authority
High Authority

Posting Awards

by: Stanton on

1) Red light cameras take photographs of the rear plate only. I believe the 407 toll cameras operate similarly.

2) Placement of the plates is covered by regulation 628 of the HTA, which states the following:

9(3) - The number plates for a motor vehicle, other than a motorcycle or a motor assisted bicycle, shall be attached to and exposed in a conspicuous position on the front and rear of the motor vehicle.

I personally think the off centre placement would still be legal, but I'm not familiar on case law specifics.

Post a Reply