License Plate Ticket (unreal Story)

torontodriver

License Plate Ticket (unreal Story)

Unread post by torontodriver »

Hello,

Very bizarre traffic ticketing experience for me: I was pulled over for doing "58" in a 40 in recently,although I am sure I was just over 50 (not the point of this post).

As the officer was pulling me over I asked him what my speed was and the posted speed limit (was a classic speed trap on a low traffic residential street). Needless to say I wasn't to happy about getting a speeding ticket for driving in the 50s but whatever. The cop was not necc rude but quite robotic and terse. I gave him all of my papers and he went to his car for about ten minutes. When he comes back he gives me 3 tickets: 1 for speeding, 1 for not SIGNING my registration for $110 dollars (I guess he didnt have to ask me to sign it, but still extremely ridiculous imo) AND THE KICKER a 110 buck fine for license plate not clearly visible, section 13.2 I think. Now, here's the problem: My plate is no different than 80% of the plates on the road today. It simply has the dealership logo in black trim (plateholder I guess) that says "dundas hyundai" (for example). It is not even encased in glass. Almost every car has this. I went to the police station myself and 90% of the officers cars in lot have this. The officers themselves were quite offended that I was wrote this "crazy" and "unbelievable" ticket (their words).

I guess my question is this: if I go to trial, would I have a shot at getting everything thrown out based on this, or do I treat them all separately? Do I even have a choice? I've never gone to the trial phase before and have no clue. I also believe that there is a difference between the letter of the law and the spirit of the law. It seems obvious that the spirit of the law is intended to ensure that the NUMBERS are visible for the police, cameras etc. I mean if this was illegal would dealerships continue to put them on cars? Would cops have them on their own vehicles? Is this not also in a weird way a Charter issue, giving cops free reign to pull over 80% of drivers for no reason other than this?

Been a long day, sorry if the post is poorly written, any answers would be greatly appreciated!!!

bend

Posting Awards

Unread post by bend »

torontodriver wrote:I guess my question is this: if I go to trial, would I have a shot at getting everything thrown out based on this, or do I treat them all separately?

They are all separate.

Do you know your plate frame was the issue? Your charge covers everything from dirty plates to spare tires and bumper bars.