ynotp

Posting Awards

Commercial Truck Requirements

by: ynotp on

Having heard many stories from owners commercial type trucks at or above 4500 kg. I have heard a lot of people complain that they have not been able to find out what all of the requirements that apply to them in a clear concise format. Unfortunately most of them seem to only find out when they are pulled over for the first time and even then the officers may only site them for only some of the infractions.

I am not an expert, but I have compiled a starter list of the rules and regulations that you should know at a bare minimum. (There are exceptions for tow trucks, farmers and motor homes.)

For most trucks with a gross registered OR actual weight of 4500 kg or more you are expected to have the following:

1. The proper class of drivers license.

If your loaded or empty trailer weights more than 4600 kg you will need a class A license

If the truck you drive has an actual or is registered for a weight GREATER than 11,000 kg you will need a class A or D licence.

If you have in improper license you will ticketed and be told to park the truck and call a properly licensed driver to drive the truck home for you.

2. An annual inspection sticker affixed to the truck and trailer (if heavy).

This is a yellow sticker that a expires every year, it requires a mechanics inspection. You get this from a licensed mechanic.

3. A CVOR certificate inside the truck and the CVOR number displayed on the sides of the truck.

You apply to the MTO for this it expires every year and needs renewal.

4. The business name displayed on the side of the truck (if you are a business).

5. Conduct the the proper pretrip inspection and fill out report to be filled out EVERY DAY.

Not accurately completing the report every day that you use the truck will get you fined.

Check with the MTO for samples of the type of daily inspection you need to fill out.

* If your drive exceeds 100 km to you may be also required to be filling out a Drivers Log Book.

6. Your truck should be roadworthy with ALL systems in perfect working order (lights, brakes, horn, steering, tires, wipers, defoggers, etc.)

7. If you have cargo it must be secure and your truck must not be overloaded.

If anyone has any input please contribute.

Decatur

Posting Awards

by: Decatur on

Here's a simple explanation of the requirement for the Annual Inspection. The most common problem I have found is that people don't know that this applies to personal vehicles as well as those used for business. (Pretty much every dual wheel pickup requires an annual inspection)

Simon Borys
VIP
VIP

by: Simon Borys on

Not all of the requirements you've cited apply right at the 4500 kg cut off though. For example, you don't need a name on the side of the vehicle unless you're registered for or actually weight 8182 kg or more.

There are nuances to the CMV requirements that really do lend this area well to receiving professional assistance if you are in this heavily regulated field. For example, it's not whether your trip is over 100 km of driving when you are required to keep a log book, but whether and destination you drive to is outside a 100 km radius (as the crown flies) from your company's registered home base.

That being said, I applaud you for trying to figure it all out, that puts you light years ahead of many CMV drivers I've seen.

NOTHING I SAY ON HERE IS LEGAL ADVICE.
Post a Reply