Just Got Disclosure, Court Date On 24th

A place to discuss any general Highway Traffic Act related items.

Moderators: hwybear, Reflections, admin, Radar Identified, Decatur, bend

TimoCruz

Just Got Disclosure, Court Date On 24th

Unread post by TimoCruz »

Hey ..

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I just got a mail saying that they need me to come pick up the disclosure from the Prosecutors office. I originally thought they would mail it to me, but it says that they can't as I need to sign the documents as confirmation of receipt.

I just got back in town and recently had my car stolen. I've been dealing with loads of stuff since I got back and will not be able to grab the disclosure. As well, I won't have enough time to prepare a defense if the cop shows up.

I understand that if the disclosure has not been received that you can ask for an adjournment. In this case, I've received a mail today stating my disclosure is ready and I need to pick up. I still feel that a couple days is not enough to come up with a defense.

Couple questions: How come they didn't send the discolure to my address and are asking me to pick it up? and can I get an adjournment in this matter. I honestly don't think I have the time to pick up the disclosure in the coming days and come up with a defense if the cop is present.

Thanks for any help.

tdottopcop

Unread post by tdottopcop »

TimoCruz wrote:Hey ..

Couple questions: How come they didn't send the discolure to my address and are asking me to pick it up? and can I get an adjournment in this matter. I honestly don't think I have the time to pick up the disclosure in the coming days and come up with a defense if the cop is present.

Thanks for any help.

1. you already answered your own question:" I need to sign the documents as confirmation of receipt. "

2. That's up to JP, not us.

No, I am not the chief of Toronto Police.
No, I do not work for Toronto Police...
... it is just a name folks :)
TimoCruz

Unread post by TimoCruz »

Well, obviously its upto the JP. But, I'm asking if anyone has any personal experience with getting an adjourment when disclosure has been received just days prior to trial.

tdottopcop

Unread post by tdottopcop »

generally yes allowances are made... explain you applied for disclosure at the earliest possible time (you didn't delay applying for the disclosure which would lead to delaying the court), and only recently received it and you have not had enough time to review it properly.

No, I am not the chief of Toronto Police.
No, I do not work for Toronto Police...
... it is just a name folks :)