brendanm1986

Unpaid Fines, License Suspended(1st)

by: brendanm1986 on

Hi all,

Story:

-unpaid fines from 2012(two out dated plates and one holding phone while driving: total 340)

-i lived in kingston with student roomates and moved to Toronto for work for a year without changing my Kingston address, it was a temp re assignment and I returned home to Kingston every two weeks on the weekend and was to return to Kingston after a year of work in Toronto. I have proof of living in Toronto and returning to Kingston every two weeks.

-i was pulled over today, second day back to Kingston for expired plates and was given 53 (1) driving with suspended license. I had no idea I had been driving 3 months with a suspended license, I'm not sure if my roommates just got rid of the serving or what they did with it. They don't know anything.

-i had my friend drive car back to house and taxied immediately to the court house and paid all fines. Then went to service Ontario and paid suspended license reinstatement(150).

-i plan to renew my plates + emissions test very soon, im just away to tornto for work. Should I talk to a paralegal? Should I get someone to represent me?

-i have a court date for July 8th

Question: how can i avoid losing my license for 6 months? I have no criminal record, am a productive member of society and need my license for work. What are my chances?

Thanks, brendan

tdottopcop

by: tdottopcop on

Go to your scheduled date found on your court summons (Form 104). Show them receipts and proof that you fixed these issues as soon as you possibly could. Pay for and bring your driver's abstract. You'll more than likely be offered a 'Drive motor vehicle - no licence' 32(1) ticket with a $500 fine, as opposed to the $1000 and/or licence suspension and/or jail time.

No, I am not the chief of Toronto Police.
No, I do not work for Toronto Police...
... it is just a name folks :)
brendanm1986

by: brendanm1986 on

Thank you both.

I had unpaid fines and was trying to go to court for one of the charges to try and get a lesser charge (I was told by the police officer that if I brought my failure to produce insurance card, the charge would be dropped). I ended up missing the court date (similair thing to how I missed my suspension, did not recieve letter because I was spending most of my time in toronto with only biweekly weekend visits back to Kingston; I know I should have changed my address or at least forwarded my mail). Then I guess I figured I would just pay the small fines when I finally get my plates done (stupidly I admit, my plates have been expired since May 2012). In toronto I would barely drive, just .5k to the grocery store and to a friends place a few times a month.

Should I mention any of the following:-

-that I did not know that I was suspended

-I had been working in toronto (walking to work) the whole year while returning bi-weekly to kingston (I have proof of a 1 year lease in TO)

-that our mailbox is shared with a law office and my roommates

How exactly does this process work, I show up for 9:00... Get told what I did wrong by the judge, then I talk with a prosecutor and tell him the details that tdottcopp has recommended; then hopefully, he gives me the driving without a license?

If I do not get offered a lesser deal with prosecutor, do I then have a court date in the future where I can acquire paralegal representation?

I called a paralegal and they wanted $1000 to represent me. I can afford this, but it seems pretty high. What do you think my chances are?

Thanks a ton

Brendan

Post a Reply