Proceed Contrary To Sign At Intersection 144 (9)

Traffic ticket for Prohibited turns? Learn the Highway Traffic Act here.
EasternPromise

Proceed Contrary To Sign At Intersection 144 (9)

Unread post by EasternPromise »

Has a pretty tough morning the other day.

Saturday AM, turned left going south on Ossington at College. Immediately got pulled over by cop for 'Proceed contrary to sign at intersection section 144(9). I could have sworn the sign said no left turns Monday to Friday (as a lot of them do in the area) but this one was no lefts Monday through Saturday. My bad, they got me.

To top it off, I had also just come back from a road trip and didn't have either my insurance or registration on me. I got the following tickets:

- 'Proceed contrary to sign at intersection' ct HTA 144(9) - $110

- 'Drive motor vehicle, no permit' ct HTA 7(1)(a) - $110

- 'Fail to surrender insurance card' ct CAIA 3(1) - $65

This is my first traffic ticket in eons, so I don't have much to go on. I've done a bunch of research but can't really get the info I'm looking for - hoping this crowd can help... Here are my questions:

Demerit Points

How do I verify how many demerit points I have. I got a speeding ticket in Alberta a couple of years ago but am unsure as to whether it's still on my record.

Left Turn Charge

I got caught red-handed. What is the general experience on this type - can I hang my hat on 'I thought it was Mon-Fri your honour' and hope for a reduction to something without points?

Documentation Charges

The car is registered and I have insurance. What is the best option at getting these tickets reduced or thrown out?

Proceedings

What's my best bet overall? Is it option 2 or option 3? Does it make sense for me to go to court and plead not guilty to any of the above when I was clearly guilty? Does it make sense to proceed with option 2 in hopes of getting the left turn charge reduced, as well as the documentation charges?

Appreciate any help or insights anyone can provide. Great forum here, big thanks!

bend

Posting Awards

Unread post by bend »

EasternPromise wrote:Demerit Points

How do I verify how many demerit points I have. I got a speeding ticket in Alberta a couple of years ago but am unsure as to whether it's still on my record.

You can order a your driving abstract online and get it immediately in a pdf. Demerit points in Ontario last two years from the day you received your ticket.

EasternPromise wrote: Proceedings

What's my best bet overall? Is it option 2 or option 3? Does it make sense for me to go to court and plead not guilty to any of the above when I was clearly guilty? Does it make sense to proceed with option 2 in hopes of getting the left turn charge reduced, as well as the documentation charges?

You can try an early resolution meeting. If you bring your documentation, they'll probably drop the two document related tickets and ask you to plead guilty on the turning.

EasternPromise

Unread post by EasternPromise »

Thanks for the heads up.

I'm trying to get an idea of how to negotiate with the prosecutor. Given how clogged up the system is - do they have an incentive to settling early? What are their motivations, generally speaking? Should I elect option 2 and reach a favourable compromise, should I settle or wait it out and go to trial hoping that A.) it'll take too long and I can have it stayed or B.) I get a better result.

Would appreciate insight from anyone experienced in the matter,

daggx

Posting Awards

Unread post by daggx »

I would go with option 3 and request disclosure, this will let you see if there are any holes in the prosecutions case and will leave open the option of filing a Charter challenge if the court date is too far away. Usually the prosecution will be willing to offer you a deal the day of the trial so if you look everything over and they seem to have all their ducks in a row you can opt for a deal. The prosecution will usually offer some kind of deal as it still counts as a win for them and it lightens their work load. In your case they will probably offer to drop some of your tickets in exchange for a guilty plea. For example they might offer to drop the two document charges if you plead guilty to the proceed contrary to sign charge. Of course you won't know exactly what they are willing to offer until you talk to them.