Ontario Highway Traffic Act

Discuss the Ontario Highway Traffic Act.

Post Your Traffic Ticket, and Get Help!

The Ontario Traffic Ticket Forum!

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Check It Out
No unread posts New Set Fines Starting Sept 1st, 2015! Read and Learn Here.

G2 license - failed to stop in school bus
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:09 am 

Hi good morning... Yesterday while I was driving going to work. I failed to stop in in a school bus flashing.im a new driver.i realized my mistake after passing the school bus... No police in the area.. What is the charges I will get. And what will be the impact in my driving record and insurance.. I'm so paranoid I can't sleep with this stupid mistake...

Re: G2 license - failed to stop in school bus
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:59 am 

omcanboy wrote:
Hi good morning... Yesterday while I was driving going to work. I failed to stop in in a school bus flashing.im a new driver.i realized my mistake after passing the school bus... No police in the area.. What is the charges I will get. And what will be the impact in my driving record and insurance.. I'm so paranoid I can't sleep with this stupid mistake...

A witness (most likely the bus driver) has to report you. If that happens, an officer will show up to your residence and hand you your ticket.

The possible fine is $400 to $2,000 and 6 demerit points if you can be established as the driver. In this case, I believe there aren't any demerit points involved as they're just going to use your plates. The ticket will go to the owner of the plates.

As a new driver, you are subject to Novice Driver Escalating Sanctions. Any conviction of a HTA offense of 4 or more demerit points will result in a 30 day suspension. Again, I don't believe you have to worry about the points.

If you wish to contest your ticket, you have the opportunity to receive a trial. If you wish to plead guilty to a reduced fine, the prosecutor may be willing to work out a deal.

I suggest you relax until you are actually charged (if it even comes to that). If an officer ends up showing up to your residence, I suggest you keep the details to a minimum and not admit to anything. Admission could lead to to you being charged with 6 demerit points.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:25 am 

Thank you so much... Probably how many days should I wait for the police or for a letter to come to know my charges?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:34 am 

omcanboy wrote:
Thank you so much... Probably how many days should I wait for the police or for a letter to come to know my charges?

I don't know the exact number of days. Maybe someone else can chime in and help.

Either way, most likely scenario is the owner of the plates will receive a fine just under $500 with no points involved. I don't believe this will impact your insurance as there's no license to attach this ticket to as they won't be able to identify the driver.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:25 am 

thanks so much BEND... i learned my lesson.. everyday i saw that bus just parking there since i started driving. it's just yesterday that i pass that bus same time same place and it was flashing.