mjt20mik

Carless Driving On Turn

by: mjt20mik on

So basically, on NYE's I was taking my cousin and her friends to a party. We missed the exit, so I decided to take the first available turn onto a street to go back. Unfortunately, the first turn (a cemetery) was concrete blocked off. Being stuck, I looked around and reversed, however, I got hit by a speeding car in the middle of my front and rear quarter panels on my passenger side. I was able to drive the car (which was now in the middle of the road) to the side, and quickly checked how my passengers were doing and how the other driver was doing. While speaking to him, I did notice that he seemed rattled, and I assumed it was because of the accident. As i got my information, he attempted to cross the street almost getting hit by oncoming cars. I quickly then made a call to 911 with the suspicion that he was intoxicated. The cop came and arrested the other driver and then gave me an ticket for careless driving.

I was wondering if there is anything I can do to appeal this ticket.

SIDENOTE: I have been driving for the past 4 years.

Stanton
High Authority
High Authority

Posting Awards

by: Stanton on

The fact that the other driver was impaired wont in itself clear you of fault. The two common options for careless charges are to plead out to a lesser charge (fail to yield from private drive would be applicable in your case) or go to trial and fight it outright. Since the ramifications for careless convictions are so serious, most people would recommend hiring someone if going to trial.

mjt20mik

by: mjt20mik on

Thanks for the information. Getting it downgraded to that charge you mentioned would still leave me getting points yeah?

And I was going to see a couple of ticket officers / paralegals tomorrow. The matter of fact is that I'm the only driver of my car, and am a university student. So getting the reduction of points (or withdrawal if possible) would be the best possible outcome for me.

Post a Reply