lawabiding

Parking Ticket From 1988

by: lawabiding on

I moved back to Ottawa 2 and half years ago (I lived in Ottawa from 1985 – 1991). When arriving in Ottawa, I changed my Alberta drivers license and registered and renewed two vehicles since being here. I was recently trying to get the Alberta plates on my tent trailer changed to Ontario plates. During that process, they informed me I had an outstanding parking ticket from 1988! The current cost on that ticket is $517! I am very upset by this as I dont remember an outstanding parking ticket, as I usually take care of these things promptly. They state I need to pay for the ticket before I can contest it. I do not have discretionary funds of $517. My question is, what should I expect if I pay this ticket and contest it?

viper1

by: viper1 on

If I was you I would attend the parking ticket office and ask about the ticket.

What you need is the fine page(s) (I say that because that price sounds like more then 1 ticket)

Next ask for the forms to ask for an extension.(or where to get them).

Once you have that stuff you can visit the court and ask to talk to a jp.

Explain the case to the jp and most likely you will either get time to pay or pay a reduced amount.

If the jp agrees the ticket reverts back. You will only have to pay the first fine amount if not it will be less then what you said.

After that it is about 10 days until it is cleared from your record.

But pay off whatever you agree too.

Luck

Viper1

"hang onto your chair when reading my posts
use at your own risk"
Julio

by: Julio on

^^sounds like good advice. But it sounds plausible that its only one ticket. Let's say a 45$ ticket, add administrative and collection fees and then compound interest. I dont know the rate for late fines but lets say now 85$ (ticket+fees) at 8% for 24 years.... 85 x 1.08^24 = 539$

viper1

by: viper1 on

If the jp reverts it it is like the first ticket. And the jp can change the price.(like back to the $30 original)

That is all that needs to be paid.

Cheers

Viper1

"hang onto your chair when reading my posts
use at your own risk"
Post a Reply