A place to discuss any general Highway Traffic Act related items.

Moderators: Radar Identified, Reflections, admin, hwybear, Decatur, bend

BelSlySTi

Another Great Idea!

by: BelSlySTi on

Whats next?

I wonder how the auto industry will like this, selling cars on appearance alone!

http://www2.parl.gc.ca/HousePublication ... =1&File=24

2nd Session, 39th Parliament,

2e session, 39e l©gislature,

56-57 Elizabeth II, 2007-2008

56-57 Elizabeth II, 2007-2008

house of commons of canada

BILL C-568

PROJET DE LOI C-568

An Act to amend the Motor Vehicle Safety Act (speed limiters)

1993, c. 16

Her Majesty, by and with the advice and consent of the Senate and House of Commons of Canada, enacts as follows:

1. The Motor Vehicle Safety Act is amended by adding the following after section 5:

Definition of "speed limiter"

5.1 (1) In this section, "speed limiter" means a device mounted on a vehicle that, when engaged, electronically limits the maximum speed at which the vehicle is driven to the speed set on the device.

importation, sale and lease

(2) No person shall manufacture, import into Canada or sell or lease to another person a vehicle unless it is equipped with a speed limiter that is engaged and set to a maximum speed that is not greater than 150 kilometres per hour.

Duty of repairer

(3) No person who repairs or maintains a vehicle shall release the vehicle to another person unless the vehicle is equipped with a speed limiter that is engaged and set to a maximum speed that is not greater than 150 kilometres per hour.

Restriction on operation

(4) No person who owns a vehicle or leases a vehicle from another person shall operate the vehicle or allow it to be operated by another person unless it is equipped with a speed limiter that is engaged and set to a maximum speed that is not greater than 150 kilometres per hour.

Application

(5) This section applies to vehicles manufactured on or after January 1, 2010 that are not fire-fighting vehicles, ambulances, police vehicles or other vehicles that are used for the purpose of emergency or vehicles that belong to a class of vehicles that is exempted from the application of this section by regulation.

[img]http://i328.photobucket.com/albums/l352/toastedwhitebread/Untitled-TrueColor-03.jpg[/img]
Bookm

by: Bookm on

I think we'll see a massive sales increase in 2009 model!!!

I really doubt we'll see this law pass. Mind you, I was sure 203 wouldn't pass either.

It's clear that Canadian Law makers perceive automotive enthusiasts as dangerous, misguided creeps who need to find a new hobby, like basket weaving or stamp collecting. They seem to have no idea just how much us car-guys contribute to the economy.

Personally, I think every generation of "do-gooders" has to make a name for themselves somehow. Every new Commissioner of this, or Commander of that feels the need to show the world just how important they are.

Fortunately, I'm old enough now that I should be able to manage the rest of my life in pre-2010 cars. I want complete control over the mechanical operation of my vehicle and I will gladly pay to maintain an older car before I buy a new "government controlled" car. For this reason, I hope the auto industry fights this Bill with all their might!

casper

by: casper on

With the speed limit at 150km/h how are you supposed to go to local track days or drag racing on the weekend(drag strip). :x I guess we all will be using snow tires in the summer as ther speed rating is around 160K. All performance tires will become extinct.

BelSlySTi

by: BelSlySTi on

casper wrote:With the speed limit at 150km/h how are you supposed to go to local track days or drag racing on the weekend(drag strip). :x I guess we all will be using snow tires in the summer as ther speed rating is around 160K. All performance tires will become extinct.

Write the elected MP a letter, tell your him your a NDPer and how does he expect to sway you with a private members Bill like this!

http://karygiannismp.com/spip/
[img]http://i328.photobucket.com/albums/l352/toastedwhitebread/Untitled-TrueColor-03.jpg[/img]
ticketcombat

by: ticketcombat on

If they made it 149km/h instead, then no one would be affected by the street racing law! I think our PM has been watching too many reruns of the Dukes of Hazard.

The good news is the bill should die if an election is called this weekend. If the government returns with a majority then all bets are off.

With the auto industry struggling and plants closing, that's all Ontario needs, another legislated feature to raise the base price of vehicles. And it's not just the cost of the limiter. Canadian models have to have daytime running lights, emissions, etc... All of these add to the line costs. Each line has to be switched: vehicles for Canada, for export to the US, etc. Every time you add another feature, the line costs rise exponentially.

Fight Your Ticket!
Reflections

by: Reflections on

149 will still get you "raced" in an 80 zone. And the electronic are not that expensive to swap. We already do it for Ford, everything is interchangable. However, Ontarians did already destroy photo radar so bill 203 and this one won't be hard.

http://www.OHTA.ca OR http://www.OntarioTrafficAct.com
hwybear

Posting Awards

by: hwybear on

Finally a bill that makes sense! However, should just match the commercial vehicles governed law coming out and set it at 105km/hr.

Watching speed channel the other day and they were testing road sensors vs cars.....that the sensor would set the maximum speed in the car and each car was set to a minimum following distance. It allowed merges in by other cars with sensors and then readjusted all cars (there was 10) accordingly until the distance apart was back to normal, then the cars were then brought back up to the speed determined by the road sensor.

Picked up my new wheels yesterday and looked at an Infinti Q50. It has sensors forward which prevents a driver from getting too close and is constantly monitored by a computer and readjusts distance based on speed.

Above is merely a suggestion/thought and in no way constitutes legal advice or views of my employer. www.OHTA.ca
ticketcombat

Reflections wrote:And the electronic are not that expensive to swap. We already do it for Ford, everything is interchangable.
This would be a new piece of equipment. Even if it wasn't, you still have to stock an additional piece, make room for it on the line, training, and line adjustments. Air Canada removed one olive from their salad and saved over $50k a year. This is bigger than an olive.

hwybear wrote:Finally a bill that makes sense! However, should just match the commercial vehicles governed law coming out and set it at 105km/hr.
I remember seeing the statistic, something like 80% of tickets issued by the OPP are for speeding. If it was no longer possible to speed, we'd have a lot of cops with not much to do. Be careful what you wish for.:)
hwybear wrote:road sensors vs cars.....that the sensor would set the maximum speed in the car and each car was set to a minimum following distance.
I like this technology. Sort of George Jettson. Rich people have it now, it's called a chauffer. Poor people too, it's callled a bus.:)
Fight Your Ticket!
racer
VIP
VIP

Posting Awards

by: racer on

Don't we already have a similar limiter installed on most cars? Limiting the speed to no more than ~170...

BTW, certain Japanese cars will play the funeral march at 170, though they aren't sold in Canada...

"The more laws, the less justice" - Marcus Tullius Cicero
"The hardest thing to explain is the obvious"

www.OHTA.ca & www.OntarioHighwayTrafficAct.com
ticketcombat

racer wrote:Don't we already have a similar limiter installed on most cars? Limiting the speed to no more than ~170
If you redline the tach there are rev limiters that cut in to stop you from burning out the motor. I know there are some utility vans (I think GM or Ford) that have speed limiters. The motors are powerful for hauling stuff but without cargo there is a risk of fishtailing at high speed.

Fight Your Ticket!
Post a Reply