A place to discuss any general Highway Traffic Act related items.

Moderators: Radar Identified, Reflections, admin, hwybear, Decatur, bend

Pepsi

Genesis Handheld Directional Or Genesis Vp Directional?

by: Pepsi on

Hi all,

Could anyone tell me if Decatur GHD Genesis Handheld Directional radar is the same as Genesis VP Directional? First time fighting a ticket and officer's notes mention GHD whereas prosecutor's disclosure includes pages from Genesis VP Directional and states they are one and the same. This link at least seems to indicate they are not http://copradar.com/rdrspecs/index.html#decatur. I want to make sure I am looking at the correct manual.

If anyone can confirm one way or the other I would very much appreciate it. :mrgreen:

"Pepsi"

Decatur

Posting Awards

by: Decatur on

These are not the same unit, however they function in the same basic manner. The VPD is battery powered and the GHD is plugged in to a 12v outlet. The VPD is no longer manufactured and has been replaced in the Decatur line by the Scout. The main reason they no longer make the VPD is that it uses the Black and Decker Versapak batteries and they wanted to switch to a standard and easily available AA battery system.

Pepsi

Thanks Decatur! So, the same operation, other than GHD plugs into the car receptacle. Would interference potential be different then? I recall seeing somewhere that vehicle fan can cause interference and that would seem more likely if the device is plugged in rather than some distance away from the cruiser. Also, if they had a GHD shouldn't it come with its own manual? It doesn't seem right that they can't produce the correct manual and even stranger that they say the devices are the same (aka). Could that be used as a line of defence?

Thanks,

'Pepsi'

Decatur

Posting Awards

Interference can come from many sources including the fan. This interference does not affect the accuracy of the radar, nor is any reading additive to the target speed. The range at which targets may be picked up may be reduced. This wouldnt normally occur if the radar is pointed out a side window.

If they have and are using a GHD/Scout they should have the manual. The manual for these newer units are one and the same.

Don't rely on any manual that you may find on the internet. Most often these are US and are different from Canadian.

Pepsi

I don't know where the radar was located :( Thanks for the tip on US CAD manual differences. Does it mean that the units sold in Canada are actually different? If not, then why would they be different. Going back to using the incorrect manual as a line of defence if they refuse to provide it, do you think it might work? Also, I was given permission to view the entire manual and was wondering if they will let me take pics/copies of the pertinent info otherwise how can I present them in court as evidence?

thanks!

Decatur

Posting Awards

I don't belive the units in Canada and the US are different, other than the unit of measure. The major difference is in the testing procedure for the radar. We don't us tuning forks as part of the test. The only way to really tell the difference would be to compare two units and two manuals. I've never seen a current US manual nor a US radar. They will probably not let you photocopy the manual or photograph it while you are looking at it. Feel free to take copius notes though.The entire manual isn't likely do do you much good unless you've taken a radar ooperator course. Most disclosure only includes the actual testing procedure for the radar.

Post a Reply