snowles

Parking Ticket, Do I Have A Chance To Fight It?

by: snowles on

I'll keep it brief.

I received a parking ticket for the first time ever outside of my house, for parking on the wrong side of the road. Upon inspection my entire street is no parking on the odd side, but like a goof I didn't have a copy of my local by-laws in my pocket at the time. Here's the problem: the first no parking sign does not appear until a significant distance down the street. I live at 164, the first no parking sign, measuring about 4x4", appears at house number 150, and says simply "any time" with the red P. I have glasses on and can not read the sign, and the reason I received from our by-law officer was that if it could be seen at all (which is a stretch for the picture, and an impossibility for the writing) than it stands as adequate (this is not mentioned at any point of the by-law). This is the only section of the street improperly signed, an admitted shortfall the by-law officer said she was trying to get fixed; what does that say?

So do I have a case here to fight it? It's only $25 but it's the principal of the matter; I work as a sub-office with the Town and wouldn't go out of my way to break the law. It's also a 90 minute drive each way to the court house and a day off of work. But, unless you either know the law or drive down every street you want to park on looking for signs, in case they happen to appear, you're hooped? I pray for any house guests we may have.

I attached a photo from the corner of the street where the first sign should be placed; my vehicle is there. That little yellow circle is the no parking sign - I had to enlarge is 700% just to find it to circle.

Attachments
20120709_123518-small.jpg
20120709_123518-small.jpg (213.4 KiB) Viewed 2118 times
snowles

by: snowles on

There is no closer sign, that's the first one. I stood at the corner of the street where according to the by-law no parking begins and the yellow circle is the first instance of any signage denoting.

The signs are about every 20 feet apart going around a curve (it's a U-shaped street) and end at about the same location on the other side of the curve. To me, that would suggest as someone unfamiliar with the area, that the no parking was on the curve only, and not the two straight stretches of the road.

Post a Reply