A place to discuss any general Highway Traffic Act related items.

Moderators: Radar Identified, Reflections, admin, hwybear, Decatur, bend

Sammie_sea

No Sticker In Registration

by: Sammie_sea on

Just wondering what the law would be on having your sticker both on your plate and in your registration.

We received a ticket for tint too dark and for our sticker not being attached to the registration although it was on the plate.

As for the sticker, we were only given one sticker for the plate, and did not know we needed one for the registration as well. When the officer received the registration he informed us that it was supposed to be there too. We realized that the previous years sticker was there from when his dad drove the car but not the renewed sticker. Where would I find the law on this and is there any way to avoid a penalty for it?

As for the tint, I am unsure of the tint percentage at the moment but will check next time I am in the car. We have been pulled over before in this car while I was driving (I am white) and not received a ticket for the tint, just asked questions about where we were headed and if we had been drinking. However when my husband was pulled over (He is brown) we were issued this ticket. I have searched bases on the internet and from what I understand is that an officer needs to be able to see the driver for safety reasons. Since it is his fathers car and his father can be seen however my husband is harder to see I feel this ticket is out of line. I understand why an officer would need to be able to see into the vehicle for safety reasons, however for different people different laws apply.

I would very much appreciate knowing where I can find the written law on an officer needing to be able to id a person inside a vehicle for the tinting ticket and the sticker information as well please and thank you.

Decatur

Posting Awards

by: Decatur on

Here are the appropriate sections of the HTA that you would have been charged under. As for the permit charge, on occasion, they dont put a sticker on the back if they print you a new permit. Take a look at the front and there may be an expiry date printed on the plate portion that may have been valid on the offence date.

As for the tint charge it all depends on the officers evidence. Plea not guilty and ask for disclosure of the officers notes. It can't hurt and you can always just pay them at any time during the process.

Permit requirements

7. (1) No person shall drive a motor vehicle on a highway unless,

(a) there exists a currently validated permit for the vehicle;

(b) there are displayed on the vehicle, in the prescribed manner,

(i) number plates issued in accordance with the regulations showing the number of the permit issued for the vehicle, or

(ii) number plates described in subsection (7.2) if the vehicle is an historic vehicle and the Ministry has issued a currently validated permit for it; and

(c) evidence of the current validation of the permit is affixed, in the prescribed manner, to,

(i) one of the number plates mentioned in subclause (b) (i) displayed on the vehicle, or

(ii) to a mini-plate attached to the number plate exposed on the rear of the vehicle, if number plates described in subsection (7.2) are displayed on the vehicle. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 7 (1); 2000, c. 29, s. 1 (1).

Equipment obstructing view

Signs, objects, etc.

73. (1) No person shall drive a motor vehicle upon a highway,

(a) with any sign, poster or other non-transparent material or object placed on the windshield or on any window of such motor vehicle; or

(b) with any object placed in, hung on or attached to the motor vehicle,

in a manner that will obstruct the drivers view of the highway or any intersecting highway. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 73 (1).

Colour coating obstructing view prohibited

(2) No person shall drive a motor vehicle upon a highway where the surface of the windshield or of any window of the vehicle has been coated with any colour spray or other colour coating in such a manner as to obstruct the drivers view of the highway or any intersecting highway. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 73 (2).

Colour coating obscuring interior

(3) No person shall drive on a highway a motor vehicle on which the surface of the windshield or of any window to the direct left or right of the drivers seat has been coated with any coloured spray or other coloured or reflective material that substantially obscures the interior of the motor vehicle when viewed from outside the motor vehicle. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 73 (3).

Stanton
High Authority
High Authority

Posting Awards

by: Stanton on

Sammie_sea wrote:Just wondering what the law would be on having your sticker both on your plate and in your registration.

Decatur posted the main section, but the requirement to have it on the permit itself is covered by Regulation 628 (a subsection of the HTA).

Link: http://www.canlii.org/en/on/laws/regu/r ... g-628.html

Section 6 of Reg 628 states:

A permit for a motor vehicle shall be validated by means of evidence of validation provided by the Ministry and affixed in the appropriate space provided on the permit.

That being said there is an ammendment to Section 6 that took effect July 1 which states the following:

(1) A permit for a motor vehicle shall be validated by means of evidence of validation provided by the Ministry.

(2) Evidence of validation for a permit shall be affixed to a number plate for the vehicle in accordance with this Regulation, and the portion of the evidence of validation not intended for the number plate may be affixed in the appropriate space provided on the permit for the vehicle.

The way they've added "may" makes me think having it on the permit itself is optional. But I believe that would only be for offences that took place on or after July 1st.

Sammie_sea wrote:I would very much appreciate knowing where I can find the written law on an officer needing to be able to id a person inside a vehicle for the tinting ticket and the sticker information as well please and thank you.

The law doesn't actually state you must be able to ID the driver, simply that the coating/tint cannot "substantially obscure the interior of the motor vehicle when viewed from outside". Arguable not being able to see/ID the driver could be construed as substantially obscuring the interior, but it's quite subjective.

Post a Reply