Paid My Fine, Received A Notice Of Suspension.

Do I have a Case to Appeal this 'License Reinstatement Fee' of $150?

Clearly You Do
No votes
Yes
No votes
Maybe, But It'll Be Tough
50%
No
No votes
Certainly You Do Not
50%

Total votes: 2

Motoman130

Paid My Fine, Received A Notice Of Suspension.

Unread post by Motoman130 »

Here's the story:

In the middle of February I received a speeding ticket (60 in a 50, $40) in the City of Cornwall, ON while there for business.

At the beginning of April I received a 'Notice of Conviction'. That document indicated I was convicted, my fine was $45, and my fine was due on April 27, 2012.

I mailed them a cheque a few weeks later along with my stub, as requested, and I post-dated the cheque to April 27, 2012.

Today (May 22) I received a Notice of Suspension dated May 16th, 2012. It indicated I must pay my fine and a reinstatement fee of $150, and wait 3-5 days for the process of reinstatement to be complete.

Upon inspection of my checking account, the cheque has yet to clear. I will pay the fee tomorrow AM, if I can fight it retroactively in someway, so I can drive sooner, as my job relies on it.

What is the best course of action?

Why did the MTO suspend my license?

Will I now have to pay the fine twice?

Also....On the letter it says "an additional administrative fee of $20 will be charged if the fine is not paid within 15 days of the due date", then my license was suspended 17 days later. Keep in mind, the fine was paid.

Am I missing something here? What is going on?