Failure To Stop Plea - Worth My Time?

Failing to obey a stop sign - Highway Traffic Act section 136(1).
FramFramson

Failure To Stop Plea - Worth My Time?

Unread post by FramFramson »

Hi guys,

Pretty straightforward failure to stop. They have me on video and recording, the ticket is clean and has no fatal errors. I'm not interested in getting the fine dropped and they have more than enough for a conviction. The only twist was that the failure to stop was issued while I was on a bicycle and it is noted as such (I know that doesn't mean much, but maybe it offers more plea options?).

What I want to know is, is it worth my time to try to have the charge reduced to avoid or reduce the demerit point hit? I have not previously earned myself any moving violations, so I have no record that would drag on this incident.

I'm not familiar with the new options on the back of the ticket - is the crown meeting worthwhile or should I just request a trial? I know I'll be convicted if it goes to trial and plead not guilty, but if I can't avoid the point hit, I'd prefer to hold it off for as long as possible. My main goal (like many folks, I'm sure) is to avoid the impact on our already-elevated Ontario insurance rates.

Feel free to ask any further questions about the incident if you think I've left something out.

FramFramson

Sorry folks, a little further reading clarified that it's convictions, not points that impact the insurance rate (not telling you guys anything you don't know, I'm sure).

So a better question would be: Is there a lesser charge I can try to request for plea that will fall below a minor moving violation? Or will a plea deal simply change me from one minor moving violation to another minor moving violation (which would have no impact on the insurance hit).

Stanton
High Authority
High Authority

Posting Awards

Unread post by Stanton »

As per section 210 of the Highway Traffic Act, demerit points only apply to motor vehicles. If you were on your bicycle, you won't receive any points and the conviction won't show on your driving abstract. It should not impact your insurance rates.

FramFramson

Stanton wrote:As per section 210 of the Highway Traffic Act, demerit points only apply to motor vehicles. If you were on your bicycle, you won't receive any points and the conviction won't show on your driving abstract. It should not impact your insurance rates.

Well, I won't take it as a license to run Stop signs all time (I actually try to set an example on my bike by stopping at stop signs, red lights etc. - just wasn't paying attention today), but that's certainly good to know!

Thanks!