Parked In Wrong Month, Nearest Sign 160 M Behind Car.

rg57

Parked In Wrong Month, Nearest Sign 160 M Behind Car.

Unread post by rg57 »

Today I got ticketed in Windsor for parking on the wrong side of the road based on what month it is. I was parked directly next to a basic single-arrow no parking sign, which had no text associated with it (other than the P), and which was pointing forward away from me. I could find no other signs on that side of the road in the limited time I had available to me then, but Google's streetview from 2009 shows the nearest other parking sign to my location was near the other end of the block, 160 m behind where I parked. I had already passed that point before deciding I even wanted to park my car, so I wouldn't have been looking for parking signs that far back. That is apparently the sign I was supposed to have obeyed.

I immediately took photos, and I'll be returning to personally record the distance between the parking signs.

Some questions.

1. This was not my car. I want to fight the ticket, because I believe I was parked legally. Does it matter what the owner thinks?

2. Does it matter what the municipality intended at my end of the block, if the existing signage didn't actually express that (and hasn't apparently since 2009)?

3. I could find nothing in Ontario regulations about what the meaning of a single arrow on a basic no parking sign is. It's obvious, but is there a written definition anywhere?

4. If I am parked directly at one parking sign, how far away can another parking sign be that I must obey?

Thanks for your interest.

rg57

Unread post by rg57 »

I also looked at Google streetview going two blocks North, South, East, and West, and going the other direction in the same block (17 other sites total).

This monthly switching seems to be common in that area, which is surprising to me.

I found 7 cases where the month-specific sign was on the same post as the the basic sign (or less than 10 m apart)

I found 2 cases where they were about 25 m apart.

I found 2 cases where they were 50 and 75 m apart.

I found 2 cases where there was only the monthly sign.

I found 4 cases that did not apply (too blurry, no parking at all, etc.)

I didn't see any other case where the sign in force could be over 100 m away.

OPS Copper

Unread post by OPS Copper »

I believe that unless the owner wants to fight it you have no standing.

OPS