Parking Ticket Kitchener - Residential Road Is A Highway?

brickroad

Parking Ticket Kitchener - Residential Road Is A Highway?

Unread post by brickroad »

Hi,

Just bought a second car and parked on the street for the first time ever. When I woke up I found a ticket on the windshield for parking on a "highway" between 2:30am-6:00am.

Looked up the "law" for this, and there was a snow bylaw passed, which is what this is supposed to be for.

My question is, how can they ticket me for parking on a residential street, which they have labeled a "highway", which also has no signs posted anywhere on the street stating this restriction.

On top of that, there has never been a snow vehicle come and clear our street between the hours stated on the ticket in the five years I've been there, so given it doesn't have any practical purpose for it's existence, is this yet another legal trick to generate revenue for the city?

Thanks in advance.

Stanton
High Authority
High Authority

Posting Awards

Unread post by Stanton »

Highway is the legal term for any roadway that can be used by the general public. In regards to signage, typically there are notices posted at the entrances of cities advising of no overnight parking, though I can't speak to Kitchener. I'd say laws like that are pretty common in most cities during the winter months.

brickroad

Unread post by brickroad »

Thanks for the clarification regarding the definition of a "highway", Stanton.

You'll have to pardon my disbelief, but following the logic of all of this, the city could start passing new bylaws regarding where it is acceptable to park and when it is acceptable to park and the first time you find out about it will be via a $30 ticket on your car - no forewarning, no notification.

If you would happen to protest, they could simply point to the bylaws that were posted on some website somewhere, which although you follow the city council meetings every week, this just happened to be passed at the one meeting you missed.

Am I the only one that finds this absurd?