High beam on? Discuss Failing to lower headlamp beams
s3rj

Got A Ticket For Accidentally Tapping My High Beams

by: s3rj on

back in october I was out driving at 1am and had just come off some dusty dirt roads onto the highway, I turned off the highway into a small city and was followed by a opp officer, the officer passed me and merged into my lane when his turn signal came on it reflected off my windshield and I couldn't see through the dust on my windshield, I went to spray my wipers and hit my high beams by mistake, I didn't notice at first but quickly turned the highbeams off and washed my windshield, when we turned at the next intersection the officer pulled into the police station, I passed the officer and decided to pull into a gas station/ car wash to give the car a better wash, the place I pulled into had closed so I went to turn around and leave and the officer had followed me into the station and proceded to give me a ticket for failing to use lower beams following, also he accused my passenger of "giving him the finger" my passenger was sleeping at the time.

I plan to fight the ticket but what are my odds of actually succeeding in this endevour?

Simon Borys
VIP
VIP

by: Simon Borys on

You may want to read the following sections to get started:

Section 168 says:

168. When on a highway at any time when lighted lamps are required to be displayed on vehicles, the driver of a motor vehicle equipped with multiple beam headlamps shall use the lower or passing beam when,

(b) following another vehicle within 60 metres, except when in the act of overtaking and passing.

When lamps are required is determined by s. 62:

Lamps required on all motor vehicles except motorcycles

62. (1) When on a highway at any time from one-half hour before sunset to one-half hour after sunrise and at any other time when, due to insufficient light or unfavourable atmospheric conditions, persons and vehicles on the highway are not clearly discernible at a distance of 150 metres or less, every motor vehicle other than a motorcycle shall carry three lighted lamps in a conspicuous position, one on each side of the front of the vehicle which shall display a white or amber light only, and one on the rear of the vehicle which shall display a red light only.

NOTHING I SAY ON HERE IS LEGAL ADVICE.
Post a Reply