BMB

Parking Tickets & Licence Suspension

by: BMB on

In the past I had several parking tickets received on private property (condo) of which went unpaid for well over a year and a half. I didn't however ever receive a license suspension. I did have to request extensions to pay my tickets in order to do my sticker renewl, but successfully renewed my license without issues (therefore no suspension).

However, in discussion the other day, I had an argument with a friend over this topic, he seems convinced that unpaid parking tickets will cause license suspension eventually.

Can anyone tell me the following;

Do different municipalities handle parking ticket consequences differently, where some may not actually cause a license to be suspended?

Are parking tickets on private property with a hired security company different than a parking ticket issued by a bylaw officer of the muncipality itself?

If these two parking tickets are in fact 'different' from each other in some way, can someone please share what and why and how so.

I managed to carry these balances on parking tickets for a long time, my municipality would not allow me to speak with the JP, only appeal in court or request extensions to pay (alot of time and paperwork to do so), and for a while I had drove with an expired sticker until the plate denial was lifted once I did get my payment extensions....I was lucky not getting a ticket for having done so, and the one time I did get pulled over the OPP officer was kind enough to understand the financial issue linked to the inability to have the new sticker and let me go completely. I know the fine is $110, but I'm still curious, had he of ticketed me, what would the other consequences have been? Demerit points? Insurance increases?

Thanks in advance for the help!

Radar Identified

by: Radar Identified on

In theory it could lead to a licence suspension... in a LONG, roundabout way.

If you don't pay the parking tickets, as OPS Copper says, they won't renew your plates (eventually). That said, the municipalities have been rather inept at notifying MTO of unpaid tickets. If you then get caught driving with invalid plates, that could eventually lead to a suspension if you don't pay that, etc. But in and of itself, no, parking tickets won't directly cause a licence suspension. Unpaid TRAFFIC tickets (HTA offences) will.

* The above is NOT legal advice. By acting on anything I have said, you assume responsibility for any outcome and consequences. *
http://www.OntarioTicket.com OR http://www.OHTA.ca
Post a Reply