A place to discuss any general Highway Traffic Act related items.

Moderators: Radar Identified, Reflections, admin, hwybear, Decatur, bend

rust0r0

Motorcycle - Riding With Headphones And No Mirrors (legal?)

by: rust0r0 on

Just wondering if:

1) It's legal to ride with headphones on a motorcycle (not looking for the typical "thats stupid" responses, simply if its legal or not)

2) Snapped my mirror off the other day while working on the bike, currently it has no mirrors (took the other one off for air symmetry, don't need a wobble happening). Is it legal to ride without mirrors (again, save the "thats stupid" responses)

Thanks

racer
VIP
VIP

Posting Awards

by: racer on

1. It is legal to do so.

2. No, you must have at least one mirror

here's the law concerning your question #2

OHTA

66. (1) Every motor vehicle other than a motorcycle shall be equipped with,

(a) a device for cleaning rain, snow and other moisture from the windshield so constructed as to be controlled or operated by the driver;

(b) a mirror or mirrors securely attached to the vehicle and placed in such a position as to afford the driver a clearly reflected view of the roadway in the rear, or of any vehicle approaching from the rear. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 66 (1).

Exception

(2) Clause (1) (b) applies to all motorcycles except those manufactured in or imported into Canada before the 1st day of January, 1971. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 66 (2).

So, unless you have a 40 year old motorcycle, you should put at least one mirror back on.

Cheers

"The more laws, the less justice" - Marcus Tullius Cicero
"The hardest thing to explain is the obvious"

www.OHTA.ca & www.OntarioHighwayTrafficAct.com
rust0r0

by: rust0r0 on

Ah, thanks!

Any clue what the fine/ ticket is if I'm stopped without mirrors (I'm in the process of getting new ones)

racer
VIP
VIP

Posting Awards

by: racer on

You know, I've never had that happening to me. My guess is the same as for the car not having mirrors...

"The more laws, the less justice" - Marcus Tullius Cicero
"The hardest thing to explain is the obvious"

www.OHTA.ca & www.OntarioHighwayTrafficAct.com
hwybear

Posting Awards

by: hwybear on

Fine $110 per mirror.

Racer - I'll see your one mirror and up you another :D

HTA OREG 611

(9) The motorcycle shall be fitted with the number of mirrors prescribed and,(a) each mirror shall be securely mounted and maintain a set adjustment; and(b) no mirror shall be cracked, broken or have any significant reduction in reflecting surface owing to deterioration of the silvering

Prescribed by the

Motor Vehicle Safety Act (Canadian Standard)

(13) Every motorcycle shall have a mirror, mounted on each side so that the horizontal centre of each reflective surface of the mirror is at least 280 mm (11 inches) outward from the longitudinal centreline of the motorcycle

Above is merely a suggestion/thought and in no way constitutes legal advice or views of my employer. www.OHTA.ca
Post a Reply