A place to discuss any general Highway Traffic Act related items.

Moderators: Radar Identified, Reflections, admin, hwybear, Decatur, bend

afoon

Reflective Windshield Tint

by: afoon on

Hey guys,

I am new at this form so please bare with me. I was hoping someone can redirect me to a source which says that reflective windshield films, layer or tint is illegal. Or if any of you admins/cops can help me with this. Is it illegal to have a layer of reflective film on the top part of the windshield to act as a sun visor and reduce sun glare, improving a drivers vision. When I mean top part as in only to the point on windshield where it says A6 or something.

Thank you for your time, and I appreciate your efforts. Oh and to all cops out there, thank you for doing a great service to this country and it's people, alot of people hate on cops for doing their job right and for being "over protective", you cops don't get enough recognition for the great work you guys do every single day. Thank you.

Stanton
High Authority
High Authority

Posting Awards

by: Stanton on

I know in several US states their laws are very specific as to how much tint/reflection you can have and to what point on the windshield. Unfortunately I don't think we have anything that specific here in Ontario; it's typically a judgement call on the part of the officer. If it's likely to prevent a clear view in AND out of the windshield, then you risk getting stopped and charged. I would think though if it's small reflective strip at the very top of the windshield, you'd probably be o.k.

Simon Borys
VIP
VIP

by: Simon Borys on

Window tinting is not illegal per se, however s. 73(2) of the HTA says that tint can not obscure the drivers view of the roadway and s. 73(3) says that tint on the front windshield or on the windows to the left or right of the driver can not obscure the view of the interior from the outside.

Whether a tint obscures is a matter of articulation of course and is case specific.

NOTHING I SAY ON HERE IS LEGAL ADVICE.
Post a Reply