Rules Of The Road When Parallel Parking?

A place to discuss any general Highway Traffic Act related items.

Moderators: hwybear, Reflections, admin, Radar Identified, Decatur, bend

bbesh

Rules Of The Road When Parallel Parking?

Unread post by bbesh »

Just wondering if anyone can point me to the section on the rules of the road when I'm making a parallel park? Many times here in Ottawa I signal well ahead of time, pull up beside the car in front of the space I want to enter, only to have the moron behind me either crowd up behind me so that I can't back up or worse, zoom by on my left, just missing my front bumper as I'm making an arc to back into my spot! Sometimes they actually pull into oncoming traffic to get by me. Just wondering if I can grab their license plate and register a complaint?

Bookm

Unread post by Bookm »

I also signal well in advance, then slow considerable as I approach the spot. Then as I pass the empty spot, I sort-of "arc" my car inward a tad. After all those hints that I'm parking, the guy behind me is STILL crowding me from behind, I just throw it in park until he gets gets a clue and either backs up or goes around.

Don't worry too much about him going around. It's legal to cross into apposing lanes (if no traffic coming).

bbesh

Unread post by bbesh »

Hey Bookm thanks for the reply. I'm still worried though if the person behind me tries to pass around - kinda worried about my front left quarter. It's gotta be illegal to pass a parallel parker? What if the person smacks into me; obviously they'd be charged but with what? Common sense just ain't that common...