A place to discuss any general Highway Traffic Act related items.

Moderators: Radar Identified, Reflections, admin, hwybear, Decatur, bend

yousef

Impound Liability - Vehicle Impounded And Held For 2 Years

by: yousef on

Hi, I was wondering if anyone knew the procedure or rules applying to impound charges regarding a vehicle that was impounded and who is responsible. The vehicle was not operated and parked and due to suspicion was impounded and held as evidence for the duration of the trial. All charges were acquitted from all charges HTA and Criminal. I received a letter from the Tow company stating i owe them $20,000 in storage charges/taxes and it continues to grow until i pay and if not paid within a month it would be put up for public auction. They also claim that even after selling my vehicle they can come after me for the rest of the money.

I just fought the case for 2 1/2 years and am in debt for lawyer fees, i have no way of dealing with this or do i feel i have to pay as its the police who contracted the impound and used it for their case. Where is the Justice? I have spoken with the investigating officer of the case and he laughed at me and said its not a police problem its a civil matter. I spoke with the Justice of the peace in Berry and they are at a loss but say i shouldn't have to pay but don't know how to go about dealing with it. I have read you can do an appeal but i don't think that applies to me as it wasn't stolen, or impounded due to suspension or any other driving condition. I can not find a straight answer. I have tried Legal Aid, criminal lawyers and Local MP's but no one seems to know what to do or who deals with it.

Can anyone help me please? direct me, or tell me where to look or who to see. I looked all over these sites and cant seem to find a straight answer pertaining to my case.