A speeding traffic ticket is subject to section 128 of the Highway Traffic Act.
icemantbi

First Ticket Reduced To 15km Over

by: icemantbi on

I got my first speeding ticket very late last Friday, and I am really nervous about this. Here is my situation.

I was the designated driver for my friends and got caught going 90 in a 60 zone. We had pulled out of a Husky, which is technically on the highway on the outskirts of town when I saw this black SUV behind me going fast, so I sped up in case it was a drunk driver, but he was a cop and pulled me over for speeding. Anyways, he said I was doing 90 in a 60 zone, which I didnt argue with him. Being my first ticket, I was s*** scared. Anyways, I apologized and he wrote me a reduced ticket to 15KM hour over, so no demerit points.

Now, here is the thing. I was driving my mom's car, and she is really paranoid when I go out. I don't want them to know anything about this (funny thing is, my dad is a lawyer, but I don't want any problems so I don't want to tell him about it) I am an "occasional" driver on their insurance, and my main concern is will their insurance company find out about this and raise their premiums? I really don't mind paying the fine, it's only $52, but I am more concerned about the insurance and my parents finding out.

I am 30 years old, first time I got a ticket and only one minor single vehicle accident years ago, so I have a clean record.

Thanks for any help

Stanton
High Authority
High Authority

Posting Awards

by: Stanton on

You're 30 and worried about your parents finding out? :shock:

Life happens and we all make mistakes, yours is a pretty minor one. Be honest with your parents. If they go and renew their insurance saying you have no convictions, they could get in trouble if the insurance company finds out otherwise. All HTA convictions show up on your driving history, no matter how minor. The good news is that most insurance companies overlook your first minor conviction, and that's exactly what yours is.

nickel052

by: nickel052 on

Hoping someone could help me. I'm in a similar position but I'm only 18 and it is my first ticket as well. My ticket was also for doing 90 in a 60 but was lucky enough to have it reduced to 15 over. Should I expect to have mine overlooked as well or would it be different since I am a young driver? My parents are aware of my ticket but seem to think it will have a dramatic increase on insurance rates. Should I fight it or pay the initial fine? I'm worried that if I fight it, the reduction will be removed and if I lose, I will end up paying full pop again. Thanks for any advice.

Post a Reply