johninbarrie

Dealer Plates And Insurance

by: johninbarrie on

So I got a ticket from an officer last week for operate motor vehicle without insurance. I was driving a car from our lot (a used car dealership company), my boss said that the car is insured under the fleet policy and that I am fine. The problem was that our dealer plate was not on the car at the time (it was left back at the shop), so when I got pulled over the cop tells me that because there was no dealer plate on the car, that it is not covered under the policy while I am driving it on the road. So I got a ticket for no operating the car with no insurance under the compulsory automobile insurance act section 2 (1) (1) and also drive motor vehicle fail to display two plates HTA 7 (1) (b) (i). Does this make sense, does the car have to have the dealer plate actually on it, when you are driving to be insured under the fleet policy????

Stanton
High Authority
High Authority

Posting Awards

by: Stanton on

Based on what you've said the charge for driving with no insurance sounds incorrect. I can't see forgetting to plate the vehicle rendering all insurance invalid. What if you're driving along and the dealer plate suddenly fell off? Are you suddenly uninsured? I'm also curious as to why you were charged. It's the owner/lessee who's responsible for making sure the vehicle is insured, not the driver. I'd certainly contact your company's insurance provider and explain the situation, see what they say in regards to your coverage. Driving with no insurance is a very serious charge, get some documentation to show that wasn't the case.

Simon Borys
VIP
VIP

by: Simon Borys on

I agree with Stanton. Dealer or personal insurance covers the vehicle, whether plated or unplated, on the road or off the road, etc. Also, as he said, only the owner can be charged with operating a vehicle without insurance. Further, the section for that is 2(1)(a), not 2(1)(1) (there is no such section), so I'm not sure what's going on there. I'd suggest you get professional to assist you - you don't want to get a conviction for this by not being on the ball.

NOTHING I SAY ON HERE IS LEGAL ADVICE.
viper1

by: viper1 on

johninbarrie wrote:So I got a ticket from an officer last week for operate motor vehicle without insurance. I was driving a car from our lot (a used car dealership company), my boss said that the car is insured under the fleet policy and that I am fine. The problem was that our dealer plate was not on the car at the time (it was left back at the shop), so when I got pulled over the cop tells me that because there was no dealer plate on the car, that it is not covered under the policy while I am driving it on the road. So I got a ticket for no operating the car with no insurance under the compulsory automobile insurance act section 2 (1) (1) and also drive motor vehicle fail to display two plates HTA 7 (1) (b) (i). Does this make sense, does the car have to have the dealer plate actually on it, when you are driving to be insured under the fleet policy????

1) Your company is required to have insurance.

You are not guilty of the insurance ticket, unless the charge was (failure to provide a slip)

2) Two plates for a car dealer?Not sure about that.

Maybe wrong charge also.

I do think more and more crooks are hanging things off the back bumpers (to look like test drive) hoping the cops won't bother them.

Cheers

Viper1

"hang onto your chair when reading my posts
use at your own risk"
Post a Reply