Road Closure Question

Driving or operating a vehicle on a closed road - HTA Traffic Ticket and Traffic Fine.
KTales

Road Closure Question

Unread post by KTales »

Hello. I just a have a couple quick questions about this part of the Traffic act. First i will give a little bit of a background

Currently the road that I live on (Highway 21) Is closed and has been for a few days now. The Barriers that they put up are only located in a town 4km south of my home and 17km north of my home. All other entrances to the highway from crossroads are not blocked. In order to get to work I at least have to turn out of my driveway and go up to the next intersection which is only about 300 meters away, however this small dirt road is poorly maintained. The next available main road is about 5 km up the road from me and it takes me over to another road which is not closed but in my opinion is worse to drive down in this storm.

The questions:

Can I get a fine for driving on the closed highway even though I never physically drive past a sign that says it is closed?

And the second question is How much is the set fine on this offence?

Thanks in advance

~KTales~

hwybear

Posting Awards

Unread post by hwybear »

The fine would be $110 and 3 demerit points.

Usually it would be logical to check the address on the licence....if it is in between the closed road sign, would think you would not receive an offence notice. If don't live inside that area you are certainly deserving of the offence notice.

I have heard (not confirmed) that any ticket of that nature and insurance companies cancel immediately, nor will the vehicle be covered for any collisions. Something like dropping a vehicle thru ice and into a lake...on your own for recovery costs too.

Above is merely a suggestion/thought and in no way constitutes legal advice or views of my employer. www.OHTA.ca