A place to discuss any general Highway Traffic Act related items.

Moderators: Radar Identified, Reflections, admin, hwybear, Decatur, bend

Alex321

Sold My Car, Ends Up Being Impounded

by: Alex321 on

I sold my car back in July 2010. On Nov 17th 2010, the police called me up and told me my old car was still registered under my name and was found with stolen plates. I gave the police all the information I had about the buyer, including his phone number and the Bill of Sale and he was grateful for my cooperation. Now, the impound company is claiming that I need to pay $800 and sign the car over to them. If I don't pay immediately, the cost will inevitably increase to $3500 and they will take me to court for the full amount.

Should I just ignore the impound company or should I pay them as soon as possible?

hwybear

Posting Awards

by: hwybear on

Here is what the HTA says you have to do when you sell the vehicle:

Where transfer of ownership or end of lease

11. (1) Upon the holder of a permit ceasing to be the owner or lessee of the motor vehicle or trailer referred to in the permit, he, she or it shall,

(a) remove his, her or its number plates from the vehicle;

(b) retain the plate portion of the permit; and

(c) on delivery of the vehicle,

(i) to the new owner, complete and sign the transfer application of the vehicle portion of the permit including the date of the delivery and give that portion of the permit to the new owner

Now if you completed all the above and have a bill of sale, I would think that you are no longer the owner, therefore you can not even sign over the vehicle.

You have a few options:

- contact police service and have investigating officer contact the tow company with the purchasers info

- you contact tow company with purchasers info

- seek legal advice

or do all of the above....there probably will be others on here who know more about this stuff....good luck

Above is merely a suggestion/thought and in no way constitutes legal advice or views of my employer. www.OHTA.ca
Post a Reply