A place to discuss any general Highway Traffic Act related items.

Moderators: Radar Identified, Reflections, admin, hwybear, Decatur, bend

ponyboyt

Oops! Anyone Beat A Cell Phone Ticket Yet?

by: ponyboyt on

So i got stopped. He told me he stopped me because "you were squealing your tires back there, and then you were talking on your phone." I replied with a smirk that its a cadillac, i cant squeal the tires. Then he said "are you saying you werent talking on the phone? And i hesitated and just said "im not saying anything.

He walked away and came back with the ticket. $155.

Ive heard that it can go up if i take it to court? As high as $400 but as low as $60.

My phone was in the console by the time he got to the car. Probably means squat, but he didnt ask for it or anything. Just told me to drive safe and went on his way.

I thought about just bargaining with it; go in and say i have a blue tooth device but the iphone is screwed lately and it doesnt work any more. Put on a sob story and ask for reduced fine.

Are insurence companies milking these tickets?

Simon Borys
VIP
VIP

by: Simon Borys on

The set fine for the charge is $155 but when you go to court that doesn't apply anymore. It is only for out of court settlements. Once you have a trial the maximum set out in the Provincial Offences Act applies ($500).

That being said, unless there are serious aggravating factors (prior record, etc) they crown almost always asks for set fine amount when it comes to sentencing.

It could be less if you negotiate with the crown before hand in exchange for a guilty plea or if you use option #2 on the back - a walk in guilty plea before a JP.

NOTHING I SAY ON HERE IS LEGAL ADVICE.
Reflections

by: Reflections on

My phone was in the console by the time he got to the car

Me thinks you should maybe pay this one.............

http://www.OHTA.ca OR http://www.OntarioTrafficAct.com
beleafer81

by: beleafer81 on

Reflections wrote:
My phone was in the console by the time he got to the car

Me thinks you should maybe pay this one.............

Ha Ha good eye there reflections. I missed that first read through.

ponyboyt

ya pretty much decided to pay it.

And for the price of a blue-tooth headset? (I have an iPhone)..

Ill tint my windows.....

hwybear

Posting Awards

by: hwybear on

I paid $79 for my bluetooth at future shop. All I had to do was "sync" the phone to the device. Easy to use, phone rings, press one button and talk. Same to dial...press same one button, say "call" and the number.

Above is merely a suggestion/thought and in no way constitutes legal advice or views of my employer. www.OHTA.ca
ponyboyt

iPhones with later firmware lock up a lot; apples fault, bad software. I dont dare turn my bluetooth on, i'd never be able to answer it.

And for those who might want to chime in, my phone is carrier unlocked so i cant update to the newest firmware yet :P

I have a wired earphone with a mic in it, but it has a habbit of getting tangled up, more dangerous than holding the phone i think.

OPS Copper

by: OPS Copper on

I have a Iphone 3 and my partner has a 4. It has never locked up with the blue tooth ...ever....In fact I googled it and could not find anything. So I am going to call BS If it was as big of a problem that you say it would be everywhere in the internet.

Besides isn't a lock up cheaper than a ticket because I am not sure there is an exemption in the HTA charge when using an Iphone..

Ops

ponyboyt

i call BS on your searching skills.

2 second search in google, first 2 results:

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jsp ... 4&tstart=0
http://appletoolbox.com/2010/06/iphone- ... -0-update/

I fix iphones every week, along with many other electronics.....

Mine is a 3G.

the 3GS, which is an altogether different phone, doesnt have this problem.

Yes it can be fixed, if you want to repair it every 4-5 days. Thats how long mine lasts before it starts to deteriorate.

The only way i can answer a call if the phone is locked (after 15 mins non-use) is if EVERYTHING is turned off. WiFi, Bluetooth, etc... all the extra "features".

And of course, your "friend has a iphone 4" and it works fine because, well, -iPhone Operating System 4" was made for that phone. It happens to work ok on the 3GS.

Version 4.1 fixes a LOT of freezing problems for the 3G, but there is no carrier unlock available for 4.1 yet.

I dont call BS on things i am not well educated about, especialy by googling for giggles for answers to things i dont even know how to search for.

OPS Copper

by: OPS Copper on

Well that would be all well and good but I said I have a 3g not a 3gs.

Either way does not matter I am not the one getting the tickets. If bluetooth does not work may as well get used to tickets or stop your car when you drive.

ops

Post a Reply