What Happens If I Don't Show Up For Court? (parking Ticket)

A place to discuss any general Highway Traffic Act related items.

Moderators: Reflections, admin, Radar Identified, hwybear, bend, Decatur

MartinBrice

What Happens If I Don't Show Up For Court? (parking Ticket)

Unread post by MartinBrice »

So...a little background first: I don't get a lot of parking tickets. Maybe six tickets in the 15 years I've been driving. In the past, I have requested a court date for these tickets, and haven't ever heard back about them. The tickets just seem to get cancelled since no court date is ever issued (I've renewed my license plate sticker without being told I have outstanding tickets).

I got a $30 parking ticket about 8 months ago, and requested a court date. I've just received a notice saying a trial date has been set.

I don't want to waste my time, or the time of the court. While I don't agree with the $30 fine, there is no denying I am guilty of the offense.

What are my options, now that a trial has been set? Can I plead guilty at this point, and save everybody the hassle? If so, is there an additional charge/fine for not pleading guilty from the beginning?

What would happen if I didn't show up to court? Of course I would be convicted, but would there be additional fees or fines?

ftuk

Unread post by ftuk »

You should consider going, it would be good practice for any future, more serious tickets.

I never bothered either, but after reading this website I'll be sure to challenge every single parking ticket in court. Request disclosure. They prob won't bother for a parking ticket. You apply for stay based on that. They may have to enter a bylaw as evidence - if they don't, there's no evidence you broke a law. Depending on what they send you, you can then decide to not bother showing up.

Check it out... http://www.ticketcombat.com/parking/parking.php

and http://www.ticketcombat.com/parking/par ... losure.php