A place to discuss any general Highway Traffic Act related items.

Moderators: Radar Identified, Reflections, admin, hwybear, Decatur, bend

torrential

Failure To Display Two Plates .... Help

by: torrential on

Hi, I'm going to court in 6 days for a ticket I got....

The charge on the ticket is "Drive Motor Vehicle - Fail to Display Two Plates". This was a mistake by the officer because in fact I only had the front plate missing, but I didn't notice when he gave it to me.

Further, he wrote this charge on the ticket as Sec. 7(1)(b)(i) HTA,

7. (1) No person shall drive a motor vehicle on a highway unless,

(b) there are displayed on the vehicle, in the prescribed manner,

(i) number plates issued in accordance with the regulations showing the number of the permit issued for the vehicle.

HOWEVER, on his own disclosed notes he wrote:

- No Front plate.

- Has Ontario rear plate.

How can I defend from this charge considering the officer error on the ticket, and his inability to properly observe and write down the infraction??

Thanks!

Radar Identified

by: Radar Identified on

I'd suggest fixing the problem, take photographs, show that the problem has been corrected, and see what they do about it. They may offer a lesser charge, or they might withdraw it, but I don't really want to promise anything. This particular charge is laughably easy to prove.

* The above is NOT legal advice. By acting on anything I have said, you assume responsibility for any outcome and consequences. *
http://www.OntarioTicket.com OR http://www.OHTA.ca
torrential

by: torrential on

Ok, I get the semantics now, but I had interpreted it as "fail to display both plates".

Thanks for the advice, I will try and correct the problem. I also got an "obstructed windshield" charge at the same time, for having large cracks on my windshield even though they don't obstruct my view at all. I have taken pictures from the point of view inside the driver's seat and hope they'll accept them in court, although in the past I have found they usually don't.

will_do_better

by: will_do_better on

Hi guys,

failure to display licence plate - is this a moving or non-moving traffic violation? will it affect insurance policy/policy if convicted?

thanks!

to torrential - hope the court date went well. less traffic tickets for innocent drivers and more for street racers is what the police should be focusing on.

Simon Borys
VIP
VIP

by: Simon Borys on

will_do_better wrote:failure to display licence plate - is this a moving or non-moving traffic violation? will it affect insurance policy/policy if convicted?

Non-moving...but of course anything can affect your insurance. It'll probably go up next year for one reason or another, or for no reason at all!

NOTHING I SAY ON HERE IS LEGAL ADVICE.
Post a Reply