Failing To Report An Accident Or Not

Failing to report a collision to a police officer - Highway Traffic Act
nyx

Failing To Report An Accident Or Not

Unread post by nyx »

My wife got into an accident in late 2008 and because it was her first time she paniced and completely forgot what to do. Some time later a friend picked her up and she left the scene. The car was left at the scene. When she returned home we realized that she hasn't filed an accident report before leaving. As soon as I heard that we drove the the nearest police station to report the accident. That was around 2-3 hours after the accident happened. The police officer that was on the scene of the accident was notified and drove down to the police station. One of the tickets my wife received after the ordeal was "Failed to provide requirement information" - code 199, but on her abstract it shows "Failed to report accident".

Is there any possibility to appeal or change this decision?

beleafer81

Unread post by beleafer81 »

So what has happened between late 2008 and now? Court? Did she plead guilty and pay the fine? What has you inquiring about this today?

nyx

Unread post by nyx »

The description of the ticket was misleading and she pleaded guilty in 2008. If interpreted in the above context there was nothing to fight. The reason why this came up is because of insurance. Current insurance company will not renew and going somewhere else will cost big money.

Time Lord

Unread post by Time Lord »

well she didnt fail to report now did she...so therefore if you have proof she did report they should be striking that off at source. Take a trip with any proof and demand they remove it based on fact she was unsure about what she supposedly had done wrong. Lets be fair most people dont do anything wrong these traffic tickets are often bogus and simply a means to effect revenue.... i would be making some moves to set the record straight insofar as your wife is concerned

Squishy

Unread post by Squishy »

It's late 2011...many insurance companies don't look further than 3 years for convictions. Shop around and you should be able to find one with a good rate. You'll lose the loyalty discount but shouldn't take a hit on the conviction if it's older than three years.