Failing to obey a stop sign - Highway Traffic Act section 136(1).
Siamese twin

Disobey Stop Sign Ticket - Markham Dec09

by: Siamese twin on

I just received my first stop sign ticket in Markham. Has anyone successfully defended a stop sign ticket? If so, what strategies did you use? The officer that pulled me over said I slowed down but didn't stop. I felt that I stopped momentarily. I have no previous moving violations or convictions. I am a careful driver. Weather conditions were good. This was in December 2009. Any help would be very much appreciated.

Radar Identified

by: Radar Identified on

Lots of people have successfully defended a "disobey stop sign" ticket. You said you stopped momentarily - where was the officer when you were at the stop sign (behind you, to your left, right...)?

Step 1 is to file a notice to appear, making sure you indicate that you want to challenge the evidence.

Here's a good website for more reading: www.ticketcombat.com

After you've done that, you should get your trial date a few months down the road. Then it's time to start prepping your defence, or looking up what you want to plea-bargain to, if you want to go that route. We can try to help in that regard.

Another option is looking for a paralegal. There's a form at the bottom of the page to fill out for a no-obligation quote.

Keep us posted...

* The above is NOT legal advice. By acting on anything I have said, you assume responsibility for any outcome and consequences. *
http://www.OntarioTicket.com OR http://www.OHTA.ca
racer
VIP
VIP

Posting Awards

by: racer on

There are many generic strategies you need to look at to have the ticket dismissed/stayed. First step is to file "Not guilty" with "Officer Present". Can't win if you don't fight :)

There are many cases listed here, all you have to do is read some!

"The more laws, the less justice" - Marcus Tullius Cicero
"The hardest thing to explain is the obvious"

www.OHTA.ca & www.OntarioHighwayTrafficAct.com
diehard

by: diehard on

Ticket was issued Dec 2009 and you already have a date in court this June?

Wow that's fast.

My ticket was issued November and I still haven't heard anything. But that's North York.

Siamese twin

I received my disclosure request but I find it somewhat difficult to read. The officer was facing N/B (northbound?). I was heading east bound. His photocopy of the notes say I was heading west/bound. He claims to have had a clear view of the intersection, a 4-way stop. In fact, there is a large silver garbage receptacle blocking his view at the disputed intersection. What does G/B mean? I had requested in my disclosure request for a typed version of any handwritten notes. These are clearly handwritten. My trial date is this Wednesday June 2, 2010. Should I delay the trial for clearer disclosure notes. Disclosure was picked up by me on April 22.

Radar Identified

by: Radar Identified on

Siamese twin wrote:What does G/B mean?

Can you type out the notes (eliminating any personal data)? Might help identify it in context...

* The above is NOT legal advice. By acting on anything I have said, you assume responsibility for any outcome and consequences. *
http://www.OntarioTicket.com OR http://www.OHTA.ca
Siamese twin

stop sign e??

complaint and 24162

4 way stop sign

facing N/B on Williamson

RD facing G/B, W/B

Buroak Ave.

Clear view of all stop

signs and stop lines.

Stops m??e: