A place to discuss any general Highway Traffic Act related items.

Moderators: Radar Identified, Reflections, admin, hwybear, Decatur, bend

SmokeScreen

Smell Of Alcohol, Not From Drinking

by: SmokeScreen on

I recently got a new car, when I use the windshield washers after I can smell the alcohol in the w/w fluid inside the car. It is because or where the air intake fir the HVAC system is in relation to the wipers but I'm wondering what kind of hassle I can expect during the Christmas RIDE season if I where to have just used the washers prior to being stopped at a RIDE check? I don't drink but do drive at night all the time.

A few years ago I was driving on a Sunday afternoon and was stopped at a RIDE check and was made to provide a breath sample. I was a little freaked by it because I had never had it happen before and I had not been drinking either. When I got home I realized I had a small squeeze bottle of lock deicer in my coat pocket that had leaked out, I never noticed because I had a bit of a cold and sense of smell was on the fritz. Oh well, they have got good sense of smell.

hwybear

Posting Awards

by: hwybear on

SmokeScreen wrote:I recently got a new car, when I use the windshield washers after I can smell the alcohol in the w/w fluid inside the car. It is because or where the air intake fir the HVAC system is in relation to the wipers but I'm wondering what kind of hassle I can expect during the Christmas RIDE season if I where to have just used the washers prior to being stopped at a RIDE check? I don't drink but do drive at night all the time. .

The smells are substantially different

Isopropanol, or isopropyl alcohol is also used in industrial processes as

well as in home cleaning products and skin lotions. It is also commonly known as "rubbing alcohol".

Methanol, or methyl alcohol or wood alcohol has been used as an industrial solvent and is also commonly available as

methylated spirit. It is found in cleaning solvents, paintremovers, photocopier developer and anti-freeze solutions. It is similar to ethanol but the end product after it is digested by the body is formaldehyde, which is poisonous.

Ethyl alcohol, also known as ethanol. This has been consumed by human beings for its intoxicating and mind-altering effects

Above is merely a suggestion/thought and in no way constitutes legal advice or views of my employer. www.OHTA.ca
Reflections

by: Reflections on

If the officer actually talks to you he'll know you haven't been drinking. Hard to miss booze on the breath.......

http://www.OHTA.ca OR http://www.OntarioTrafficAct.com
SmokeScreen

by: SmokeScreen on

I realize the different types of alcohol and odors produced, but sometimes, especially during the busy Christmas RIDE season some of the screening of drivers is done by Aux members, Cadets or other volunteers. I agree an experienced officer can tell who has and has not been drinking from more than just odor.......but not all of them seem to have his level of experience. I don't get bent out of shape by them checking, sometimes it throws them off when they ask me when was the last drink I had and they get an answer "14 years, 2 months and (today is 15)days".

Off_Camber

by: Off_Camber on

SmokeScreen wrote:I realize the different types of alcohol and odors produced, but sometimes, especially during the busy Christmas RIDE season some of the screening of drivers is done by Aux members, Cadets or other volunteers. I agree an experienced officer can tell who has and has not been drinking from more than just odor.......but not all of them seem to have his level of experience. I don't get bent out of shape by them checking, sometimes it throws them off when they ask me when was the last drink I had and they get an answer "14 years, 2 months and (today is 15)days".

and 21 hours and 49 minutes :P

Post a Reply