billdavis

Speeding Ticket Questions

by: billdavis on

***** I previously posted this under "Speed Traps" by mistake ********

Hello all this is my first time posting here, I like what i've read so far. You all seem like a great bunch of people :).

I hope this is in the write section

I was caught by a speed trap and given a ticket for the following offense

exactly as written on the ticket:

"SPEEDING. 75 KM/HR IN A POSTED 60KM"

What I found odd was that the officer did not ask for my insurance and registration information. He just asked for my license.

I'm a paramedic student and I had my EMS badge/parking pass on my dash but that didn't seem to make any difference.

I plan on going to court but I want to know if the officer is required to ask for insurance and registration info during a traffic stop.

Any and all advice would be appreciated.

hwybear

Posting Awards

by: hwybear on

billdavis wrote: I want to know if the officer is required to ask for insurance and registration info during a traffic stop..

it is not mandatory to ask

Above is merely a suggestion/thought and in no way constitutes legal advice or views of my employer. www.OHTA.ca
Bookm

by: Bookm on

Curious... Were you really only 15 over?? Or did he lower it?

billdavis

by: billdavis on

Bookm wrote:Curious... Were you really only 15 over?? Or did he lower it?

He said he lowered it from 95 but im not too sure about the speed.

Radar Identified

by: Radar Identified on

If that's the case, I'd recommend paying the fine. If the officer did clock you doing 95 but lowered it to 75, that's a pretty big reduction. Speeding tickets, particularly where the officer lowered the amount a fair bit, are also not very easy to beat. They can be, but it requires some work.

You could call the Prosecutor and see if they're willing to offer you an even lower speed, or an alternate infraction. You could see if they goof and don't give you proper disclosure, meaning the officer's notes and access to, or a copy of, the manual of the speed measuring device (radar or lidar). Or you could see if the officer does not show up. (Usually they do show up.) If it does go to trial, it's a little trickier to win - not impossible, but certainly a lot more difficult.

hwybear

Posting Awards

by: hwybear on

Radar Identified wrote:If that's the case, I'd recommend paying the fine. If the officer did clock you doing 95 but lowered it to 75, that's a pretty big reduction. .

Sounds like discretion for a student. Not going to let the student completely off, but give the student a break with all the expenses of school and who maybe has a part time job.

Above is merely a suggestion/thought and in no way constitutes legal advice or views of my employer. www.OHTA.ca
Reflections

by: Reflections on

hwybear wrote:
Radar Identified wrote:If that's the case, I'd recommend paying the fine. If the officer did clock you doing 95 but lowered it to 75, that's a pretty big reduction. .

Sounds like discretion for a student. Not going to let the student completely off, but give the student a break with all the expenses of school and who maybe has a part time job.

I had a nice officer give me a break once. I liked him.....ummmmm a lot.... :oops: :D

http://www.OHTA.ca OR http://www.OntarioTrafficAct.com
Bookm

by: Bookm on

Reflections wrote:I had a nice officer give me a break once. I liked him.....ummmmm a lot.... :oops: :D

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
Reflections

by: Reflections on

Radar Identified wrote:I just lost my appetite... and my lunch...

I didn't like him that much...... damn, I got kids......

http://www.OHTA.ca OR http://www.OntarioTrafficAct.com
Post a Reply