A place to discuss any general Highway Traffic Act related items.

Moderators: Radar Identified, Reflections, admin, hwybear, Decatur, bend

srryoffcr

Failure To Update Address On License Ticket?

by: srryoffcr on

I got stopped by an officer for doing 70 in a 50 on my way to my apartment in Toronto. The officer was very nice, and acknowledged that I was going with the flow of traffic, and likely pulled me over instead of the SUV or minivan I was following/leading because of the kind of car I drive (fairly sporty looking, definitely driven by a lot of idiots), and because right after he pulled out to chase us down, I pulled over to pull into my drive way. The other cars carried on their way so I was the easy target no doubt.

The officer decided to be a good guy and give me a 'failure to update my address on my driving licence' ticket, which as I understand it is a non-moving violation. However, since I have two residences, and my address on my licence is obviously for the address in the cheaper insurance area, it technically is not an incorrect address, just can't have two on a license, can I?

I'm fine with paying the ticket, cost of doing business I figure and it's a lot better than a speeding ticket, but I don't want my insurance to rise as a result of it, nor do I want them to think I'm not living where I say I do and exercise some ritual sacrifice of my policy, because everything is legit and I work hard to keep it so.

If I pay the ticket (failure to update LICENSE) will this conviction affect my insurance or make it back to them? I was told by the officer it's a non-moving violation, and 0 points.

Any clarification is appreciated, it's somewhat of an obscure situation, I know.

Reflections

by: Reflections on

If you truly have 2 addresses then you could take the day off work and fight the ticket, and win. I don't think this would cause a rise in your rates, but I am not sure. You could call your insurance company to find out. It is not officially on your record until you pay, or it's never on your record if you beat it.

http://www.OHTA.ca OR http://www.OntarioTrafficAct.com
ticketcombat

by: ticketcombat on

The officer would have no way of knowing where you live unless you told him something to warrant the charge:

Example 1:

Officer: Do you live here?

You: Yes.

Officer: That's not what it says on your licence.

Example 2:

Officer: Is the address on your licence correct?

You: No.

Officer: Here's a ticket for you.

Either way the question remains: What did you say to get the ticket?

The insurance issue is not just increased rates because of a conviction. There is the nagging issue of insurance fraud. Did you see the Michael Moore film "Sicko"? To deny benefits, insurance companies review everything the applicant filed with them. They are looking for anything undeclared or incorrect or anything that will allow them to deny a payout. You filed a car insurance application with your home address but were convicted for not living at that address. That's a RED FLAG!

I don't mean to be a scare monger, but you may wish to do some more strategic thinking about your situation. If you or your family are ever in a serious accident, this could haunt you. Fighting the ticket may be the only immediate option you have at this point.

Fight Your Ticket!
srryoffcr

by: srryoffcr on

Thanks for the answers so far, all great points!

Either way the question remains: What did you say to get the ticket?

Well, he said "where are you headed?" I said I'm going to my apartment for the night after seeing my girlfriend. He said "So you live here?" I said "Yes, but my primary address is not here" since I do contract work and while it's convenient having a apartment there, i'm not there all the time, about 40%. He went back to the car to deliberate, and came back and gave me the ticket for failure to update license since I told him I'd had the apartment for a few months now. Not going to lie to him, no need to and no point since having spoken to my ins co, and was told this was the best way to do it (they encouraged me to keep a primary addr elsewhere since my rates would be cheaper).

I said to the officer I was happy to have that ticket vs a moving violation, but was confused since I legitimately have an alternate primary address, and he said "yes but as far as I'm concerned you live here, since I have no proof to the contrary. you can change your address on your licence and the ticket will be removed"

Since it's not a moving violation int he first place, and since the ticket is not for IMPROPER ADDRESS ON INSURANCE, would this likely make its way back to my ins. co?

I'm fine with going in to defend it, but again, since he stopped me ORIGINALLY for speeding, would there be a chance that if I lost they could reinstate a speeding charge? Or is it not possible to do that?

I'm also sure what 'proof' I could take with me to prove it's my primary residence? Banking statements sent to that address? My income tax return info? My GST returns? All of these items are sent to my primary address.

Post a Reply