A place to discuss any general Highway Traffic Act related items.

Moderators: Radar Identified, Reflections, admin, hwybear, Decatur, bend

litzz

Parking Lot Ticket Question

by: litzz on

Got 2 tickets while in a store parking lot. I was in the car with a passenger and was about to exit the vechicle. One ticket was for not having my up to date sticker and for having an expired insurance card, but the ticket offense reads " fail to surrender insurance card", which i did give to the officer just expired. What does the law say about tickets given on private property?

Reflections

by: Reflections on

litzz wrote:Got 2 tickets while in a store parking lot. I was in the car with a passenger and was about to exit the vechicle. One ticket was for not having my up to date sticker and for having an expired insurance card, but the ticket offense reads " fail to surrender insurance card", which i did give to the officer just expired. What does the law say about tickets given on private property?

The officer more then likely saw you on the road and followed you into the parking lot. Quite legal. The " fail to surrender insurance card" should read "fail to surrender valid insurance card".

http://www.OHTA.ca OR http://www.OntarioTrafficAct.com
Squishy

by: Squishy on

Reflections wrote:
litzz wrote:Got 2 tickets while in a store parking lot. I was in the car with a passenger and was about to exit the vechicle. One ticket was for not having my up to date sticker and for having an expired insurance card, but the ticket offense reads " fail to surrender insurance card", which i did give to the officer just expired. What does the law say about tickets given on private property?

The officer more then likely saw you on the road and followed you into the parking lot. Quite legal. The " fail to surrender insurance card" should read "fail to surrender valid insurance card".

:shock: That makes it a $10,000 fine for 'knowingly use invalid insurance card' instead of a fine up to $400 for 'fail to surrender insurance card'.

The way I see it is that once your insurance card expires, it is no longer an insurance card. Thus, you did not produce one. I think the 'invalid insurance card' charge is for those who print a fake one on their computer and try to pass it off as real.

hwybear

Posting Awards

by: hwybear on

Lucky did not issue a 3rd ticket: "Fail to have a validated permit" (validation sticker that goes on the licence plate, there is a corresponding sticker that goes on the back of the permit)

There can be 2 charges for the insurance card:

1) Fail to surrender insurance card

2) Fail to have insurance card

Both are a total of $65.

Above is merely a suggestion/thought and in no way constitutes legal advice or views of my employer. www.OHTA.ca
Post a Reply