Speeding 138 Kmh In A 70 Contruction Zone- Impound Next Day?

robby4

Speeding 138 Kmh In A 70 Contruction Zone- Impound Next Day?

Unread post by robby4 »

A cop pulled me over going 138 in a 70 contruction zone on the Gardiner (in Toronto). I was driving my moms car and he told me the car will be taken away for 7 days. He took my license, went back to his car to look it up and then came back and asked me if I still live at the same address. After confirming my address, he told me he just got an emergency call and has to go. He asked me what time I will be home tomorrow and told me he will be come see me tomorrow.

How likely is it that the car will still be impounded. I have a clean driving record and a G driving license. Is there anything I shoudl do now/ or can do that might help?

ynotp

Posting Awards

Unread post by ynotp »

The officer has 6 months to charge you.

Three things could happen:

1) Nothing (unlikely)

2) Officer comes to your home with a summons for speeding 68 over and stunt driving. I don't know that they will impound the car and retroactively suspend your license once they have already released it to you, it defeats the purpose of an immediate roadside suspension and vehicle seizure.

3) You get a speeding ticket for 49 over with or without a construction zone surcharge.

robby4

Unread post by robby4 »

I was wondering if it was possible for the officer to mail me the summons. I have not heard from the officer and also I live in Caledon which is a good 55km out from Toronto. Not sure if the officer would drive down just to give me a ticket.

daggx

Posting Awards

Unread post by daggx »

The summons has to be served in person, so they can't just mail it. I believe they could get a member of the Caledon OPP to serve it for them though.

robby4

Unread post by robby4 »

Since it has to be served in person, lets say I wasn't home every time they came can I potentially get out of this?

Stanton
High Authority
High Authority

Posting Awards

Unread post by Stanton »

No, avoiding service won't make it go away. First, the summons can actually be served on any adult in your home, it doesn't have to be served on you personally. Second, if the officer believes you're avoiding service, they could request the Courts issue a warrant for your arrest.